Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My 25th Subaru Engine Pull..Wife's legacy gets an overhaul!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DrKrazy

DrKrazy

Which one to drive today?

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Golden

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

Well I've been meaning to getting around to replacing the clutch and resealing some things on the wife's 94 Legacy Wagon. I'm off for a few days of vacation time and took advantage of the beautiful 70 degree day in March (rare here in CO) and finally got to work. Things that got done:
Rear Main Seal
Oil Separator Plate
Reseal Oil Pan
Valve cover gaskets/grommets
Freshly machined flywheel with new pilot bearing
New tough Exedy clutch kit (complete with Subaru clips for throw-out)
Full coolant flush and drain (duh had to pull the engine anyways)
Change all fluids (Tranny, Rear Diff, Brake, Coolant, Oil)
New exhaust manifold gaskets
New thermostat & gasket (previous owner did something crazy see pics below)
A cool new fresh engine paint job (went a little nuts compared to what I originally was going to do, but looks good :clap: )
A pretty full day, job time roughly 8-10 hours (including going to the machine shop, breaks, & slacking) all with hand tools...and one electric impact, oh and my engine hoist. Didn't start taking pics till I was about halfway through putting the engine back together, that's when my wife asked me how many times I've done this.... counted it out and between all my Subaru's and friends' Subaru's this was number 25 for pulling a Subaru engine!
So special occasion today :banana:
Lots O' Pics here: Doing the wife's clutch/engine reseal

But here's just a few from my lovely day:

OK Previous owner was insane, I've known this from other things I've had to fix but I pulled the thermostat to replace it (Water Pump, Timing had all been done less than 20k ago..5 years ago when we bought it, then I had to redo the timing belt because of that previous owner). So notice anything crazy wrong with the thermostat on the right? :confused: :confused: Yes let's cut holes in it...that will fix it! :lol:
Posted Image

And a random few through the day and finished product..a nice blue tone and wife loves it even though I'm the only one who ever sees the engine..
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Oh Pretty...:headbang: :burnout:
So here's to my 25th Subaru engine pull :drunk: :drunk:

#2 aircraft engineer

aircraft engineer

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • close to Tacoma

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:32 PM

I hope you anodized or used alodine on the aluminum parts or that pretty blue paint won't stick :grin:

#3 EVOthis

EVOthis

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  • Kennett Square PA

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:37 AM

lookin good..:) ...i just bought the same exedy clutch kit for my 96.....so far so good......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users