Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 25th Subaru Engine Pull..Wife's legacy gets an overhaul!

Well I've been meaning to getting around to replacing the clutch and resealing some things on the wife's 94 Legacy Wagon. I'm off for a few days of vacation time and took advantage of the beautiful 70 degree day in March (rare here in CO) and finally got to work. Things that got done:

Rear Main Seal

Oil Separator Plate

Reseal Oil Pan

Valve cover gaskets/grommets

Freshly machined flywheel with new pilot bearing

New tough Exedy clutch kit (complete with Subaru clips for throw-out)

Full coolant flush and drain (duh had to pull the engine anyways)

Change all fluids (Tranny, Rear Diff, Brake, Coolant, Oil)

New exhaust manifold gaskets

New thermostat & gasket (previous owner did something crazy see pics below)

A cool new fresh engine paint job (went a little nuts compared to what I originally was going to do, but looks good :clap: )

A pretty full day, job time roughly 8-10 hours (including going to the machine shop, breaks, & slacking) all with hand tools...and one electric impact, oh and my engine hoist. Didn't start taking pics till I was about halfway through putting the engine back together, that's when my wife asked me how many times I've done this.... counted it out and between all my Subaru's and friends' Subaru's this was number 25 for pulling a Subaru engine!

So special occasion today :banana:

Lots O' Pics here: Doing the wife's clutch/engine reseal

But here's just a few from my lovely day:

OK Previous owner was insane, I've known this from other things I've had to fix but I pulled the thermostat to replace it (Water Pump, Timing had all been done less than 20k ago..5 years ago when we bought it, then I had to redo the timing belt because of that previous owner). So notice anything crazy wrong with the thermostat on the right? :confused: :confused: Yes let's cut holes in it...that will fix it! :lol:

thermo.jpg

And a random few through the day and finished product..a nice blue tone and wife loves it even though I'm the only one who ever sees the engine..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Oh Pretty...:headbang::burnout:

So here's to my 25th Subaru engine pull :drunk: :drunk: