Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

EA-81 Hatch, disc brake conver., brakes drag

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_LostWater_*

Guest_LostWater_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2003 - 07:31 AM

Hey all,

I swapped over disc brakes to my EA-81 hatch this past weekend, took less than two hours.

The problem is, teh brakes drag on the rear. I thought that it might be because the rotor was rusted, but now the rust is scraped off and it still drags, pretty badly. :( Anybody have any ideas? I hope a caliper rebuild is not in order.

All help will be be appreciated.

Mark
Christiansburg, VA
86 EA-81 hatch
69 Subaru 360 Sambar (x2)
69 Subaru 360 Truck (x2)
LostWater@LostWater.com

#2 Guest_subu luvr_*

Guest_subu luvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2003 - 10:06 AM

rust is scraped off?

turn your rotors.........

#3 Guest_archemitis_*

Guest_archemitis_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2003 - 10:19 AM

or drive it for a while. is it bad? were they off a car that wasnt used for years. sometimes they get sticky for a while.

#4 Guest_x silvershad0w x_*

Guest_x silvershad0w x_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2003 - 10:30 AM

Take a look at your caliper assembly, you have two bolts that hold the caliper to the backing plate, and another two that are the slides for the caliper unit. My guess is you just need to disassemble those, clean them out remove and any surface rust that might be on the slide pins, and lubricate them well with a high temp grease, or you can use a high temp anti-seize compond. My guess is the calipers are not returning to thier full released position, some resistance on the slider(s) is holding one pad against your rotor with some force.

Make sure the rotors are "clean", and check runout with a dial indicator if you have one. Have them turned if they are beyond specs. Rear discs take forever to clean off rust by just driving the car, its worth it to have em turned if you ask me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users