Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

intercooler and blow-off valve/ bypass valve setups

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 suba

suba

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • moscow, ID

Posted 23 December 2003 - 10:13 PM

okay, i'm getting ready to start upgrading the rx, plans include: intercooler, boost controller and blow-off valve or bypass valve.

but what i was wondering is, what intercoolers have you all used, and what ones seem to be best? also, blow off or bypass? money is a major issue and i'm going for performance, and simplicity and could care less about sound and looks. what do you suggest? thanks

p.s. i found a 3000gt bypass valve on ebay for $25, a bosch bypass for $40 and a tyfoon (?) bov for $50 (new).

#2 Danbob99

Danbob99

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Brier, Washington

Posted 23 December 2003 - 10:32 PM

you should try and get ahold of SubaruTex. He has an Rx that he has done the intercooler, mbc, and others to it. As far as i know he used a wrx intercooler, workers good from what i've seen.

#3 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 23 December 2003 - 11:32 PM

I used a 1.8t vw jetta intercooler. and the bosh bypass valve.
the bypass valve became rather anoying after a while so I disconected it. sounded like a wookie in pain.

blow off valves tend to mess with the mass air flow meter signal. I let my bypass valve vent to atmosphere one time. It did not run as well.

I will try to find a pic to post later.

#4 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 24 December 2003 - 01:15 AM

I would be very interested in seeing how you had that plumbed.. would also be interested in taking that bypass valve off your hands if you aren't going to be using it . I have always liked the sound of a wookie in pain:D

#5 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 24 December 2003 - 01:49 AM

I have think I have a spare bypass valve from a saab. if you are serious let me know.
heres the best pic I could find.
the outlet from the turbo is a ofset and increase in size. that and the hood scoop were the hardest to do.

Attached Files

#6 Scrub2k

Scrub2k

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Reno

Posted 24 December 2003 - 04:28 AM

Im using a Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe I/C in my car seems to fit well, i just need to figure the best way to plumb it in, and then find a good hood scoop to put on.

#7 Dennis ex24

Dennis ex24

Subaru Disaster

• Members
  • 2,683 posts
  • Phila, Pa

Posted 24 December 2003 - 08:58 AM

i have a thunderbird IC on my XT...

word on the street is that they are supposed to be some of the most effecient stock ICs out there, however im not sure its the best fit.

the IC to turbo pipe goes of to a slight angle on the IC, while the turbo that is on my car (a legacy unit) goes straight up...this makes for an offset when you try to join them with plumbing - i may not be reaching the cars full potential HP wise because of the way the 2 pipes meet.

also on my car is a volvo bypass valve and a turbo XS manual boost controller, you can go in my profile and click on the link to check it out.

#8 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 24 December 2003 - 09:02 AM

Please excuse me for posting this so often,
I am sure many of you are v.tired of seeing it.
The BPV is from a Volvo and makes very little noise when bypassing. IC from Mitsu Starion

Posted Image
Email me for details or simply post here.
Hope this gives you some ideas

#9 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 24 December 2003 - 09:09 AM

I Love seeing that pic. Unfortunately, most of the labeled items aren't really visible.. even on my 21 inch monitor

#10 Subarutex

Subarutex

Oldschool Show Queen

• 2,530 posts
  • Mountlake Terrace

Posted 24 December 2003 - 02:02 PM

WRX intercooler w/ stock wrx bypass valve. I had my bypass vented atmospherically forever. Now I run it recirculating. ONly difference is it doesn't bog down when you come to a stop.

Look on my site for pics.

#11 Myxalplyx

Myxalplyx

Old Wise and Dumb

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • New Castle

Posted 24 December 2003 - 09:17 PM

Originally posted by Skip
[B][color=darkblue]Please excuse me for posting this so often,
I am sure many of you are v.tired of seeing it.
The BPV is from a Volvo and makes very little noise when bypassing. IC from Mitsu Starion

Hey Skip,

I never get tired of seeing that work of art. It shows us youngins how to do things the right way. I react the same way every time I see it. :eek: :slobber:

#12 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 24 December 2003 - 10:42 PM

Hey skip, what does your strut brace attach to and have you noticed if it makes any difference in handling?

Just wondering, since mine is attached to the innermost strut bolts and I can't really tell from the picture where yours goes to.

#13 suba

suba

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • moscow, ID

Posted 25 December 2003 - 12:22 AM

so, what have you all used for piping on the intercoolers?

#14 Scrub2k

Scrub2k

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • Reno

Posted 25 December 2003 - 12:25 AM

I Plan on using some 2" Plastic ABS piping from Homedepot(the Black Stuff), and some Rubber Intercooler Hose that I Seen at Summit Last week.

#15 pleiades

pleiades

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • NC

Posted 25 December 2003 - 09:47 AM

Not intercooled yet, but I do have this nice ricey BOV! :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 25 December 2003 - 10:15 AM

As mentioned it is generally not advisable to put a BOV on a MAF equipped car. Acura's and later model Subarus have a MAP sensor which is a horse of a different air metering system. Nice work though Pleiades.
I see you also have a mechanical temp gauge fitted to the heater hose line.

Thanks Caleb and Kevin for the props.
Couple other questions/answers
Caleb Unfortunately, most of the labeled items aren't really visible
Thanks for pointing that out, I will work on a page with links to each element describing the function and build process.

Snowman what does your strut brace attach to and have you noticed if it makes any difference in handling
It is attachecd to the lugs for mounting the spare tyre carrier.
I preloaded the brace app 12mm, using a porta power. Yes the car feels much better in the twisty bits and a shimmy I had at app. 65 MPH is gone.

Suba so, what have you all used for piping on the intercoolers?
I used silicone hose from http://www.hosetechniques.com/
for the intake pipe
Posted Image
And truck radiator hoses with anti-collapse springs fitted. I had full sized templates and went to an auto store with pipes hanging on a rack and bought the ones that fit my templates.

Hope this helps

#17 pleiades

pleiades

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • NC

Posted 25 December 2003 - 10:37 AM

Skip, thanks for the props. I honestly have had no problem with the BOV. The car doesn't stumble, doens't hesitate, doesn't try to die when coming to a stop. Who knows.

With all the work you have put into your car, why haven't you switched to the spyder intake? (just curious)

#18 Myxalplyx

Myxalplyx

Old Wise and Dumb

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • New Castle

Posted 25 December 2003 - 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Skip
Suba so, what have you all used for piping on the intercoolers?
I used silicone hose from http://www.hosetechniques.com/ [/B]

Excellent info Skip! I do no know why I never bothered asking info abou the hoses here. I've been looking for a place to purchase silicone hoses and rubber fittings for a long time. The hoses will help a good deal in future projects. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users