Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intercooler and blow-off valve/ bypass valve setups

suba

okay, i'm getting ready to start upgrading the rx, plans include: intercooler, boost controller and blow-off valve or bypass valve.

but what i was wondering is, what intercoolers have you all used, and what ones seem to be best? also, blow off or bypass? money is a major issue and i'm going for performance, and simplicity and could care less about sound and looks. what do you suggest? thanks

p.s. i found a 3000gt bypass valve on ebay for $25, a bosch bypass for $40 and a tyfoon (?) bov for $50 (new).

I used a 1.8t vw jetta intercooler. and the bosh bypass valve.

the bypass valve became rather anoying after a while so I disconected it. sounded like a wookie in pain.

blow off valves tend to mess with the mass air flow meter signal. I let my bypass valve vent to atmosphere one time. It did not run as well.

I will try to find a pic to post later.

i have a thunderbird IC on my XT...

word on the street is that they are supposed to be some of the most effecient stock ICs out there, however im not sure its the best fit.

the IC to turbo pipe goes of to a slight angle on the IC, while the turbo that is on my car (a legacy unit) goes straight up...this makes for an offset when you try to join them with plumbing - i may not be reaching the cars full potential HP wise because of the way the 2 pipes meet.

also on my car is a volvo bypass valve and a turbo XS manual boost controller, you can go in my profile and click on the link to check it out.

Please excuse me for posting this so often,

I am sure many of you are v.tired of seeing it.

The BPV is from a Volvo and makes very little noise when bypassing. IC from Mitsu Starion

willyslump.jpg

Email me for details or simply post here.

Hope this gives you some ideas

Originally posted by Skip

Please excuse me for posting this so often,

I am sure many of you are v.tired of seeing it.

The BPV is from a Volvo and makes very little noise when bypassing. IC from Mitsu Starion

Hey Skip,

I never get tired of seeing that work of art. It shows us youngins how to do things the right way. I react the same way every time I see it. :eek::slobber:

As mentioned it is generally not advisable to put a BOV on a MAF equipped car. Acura's and later model Subarus have a MAP sensor which is a horse of a different air metering system. Nice work though Pleiades.

I see you also have a mechanical temp gauge fitted to the heater hose line.

Thanks Caleb and Kevin for the props.

Couple other questions/answers

Caleb Unfortunately, most of the labeled items aren't really visible

Thanks for pointing that out, I will work on a page with links to each element describing the function and build process.

Snowman what does your strut brace attach to and have you noticed if it makes any difference in handling

It is attachecd to the lugs for mounting the spare tyre carrier.

I preloaded the brace app 12mm, using a porta power. Yes the car feels much better in the twisty bits and a shimmy I had at app. 65 MPH is gone.

Suba so, what have you all used for piping on the intercoolers?

I used silicone hose from http://www.hosetechniques.com/

for the intake pipe

wittepro.jpg

And truck radiator hoses with anti-collapse springs fitted. I had full sized templates and went to an auto store with pipes hanging on a rack and bought the ones that fit my templates.

Hope this helps

Skip, thanks for the props. I honestly have had no problem with the BOV. The car doesn't stumble, doens't hesitate, doesn't try to die when coming to a stop. Who knows.

With all the work you have put into your car, why haven't you switched to the spyder intake? (just curious)

Originally posted by Skip

Suba so, what have you all used for piping on the intercoolers?

I used silicone hose from http://www.hosetechniques.com/ [/b]

Excellent info Skip! I do no know why I never bothered asking info abou the hoses here. I've been looking for a place to purchase silicone hoses and rubber fittings for a long time. The hoses will help a good deal in future projects. Thanks again!