Ultimate Subaru Message Board

skid plate, pics wanted

ivantruckman

im looking for ideas for homade skid plates, im interested in the mounting fabrication, i dont have moutains or big rocks here in michigan, i need the real life proven ( big dented skid plates) off road proven ideas, thanks to all in advance for the pics.........Ivan

This one is mine, Will made it, I have a gen1 bumper and a sign for a skid plate, Will just put tabs on it and bolted it on. The very bottom is bolted into the hole where the stock skid plate used to bolt up at.

rieter_014.JPG

This one is Woodys. He also has a road sign but he has an A bar with the homemade bumper

1936woodys_************_001.jpg

I hope that helps some

Jeff

Looks like an EA82T header, minus the uppipe onwards.

Bingo. We have a winner!!

I think it is a way better setup, and the pipe itself is actually alot beefier. I haven't noticed much difference in how it runs. It may flow a little better, but I'm sure the difference is minimal.

Bingo. We have a winner!!

I think it is a way better setup, and the pipe itself is actually alot beefier. I haven't noticed much difference in how it runs. It may flow a little better, but I'm sure the difference is minimal.

It's covered in insulation... lots of it, the pipe is still the same size, but there is a insulation cover and then another pipe over it... I cut one apart once and was surprised... I do like the idea though.:clap:

It's covered in insulation... lots of it, the pipe is still the same size, but there is a insulation cover and then another pipe over it... I cut one apart once and was surprised... I do like the idea though.:clap:

The insulation ends about 1" from each flange if it is similar to the one you cut up, and that double wall really makes it alot stronger. The only reason I even ran a skidplate was for the benefit of the oilpan. :)

And as for the flow, I think this design is tuned to flow better at higher revs. I noticed a slight difference in low end power production after install, and the only reason I can think of is the flow design for this being set up for turbo. Like I said though; the difference is very little, and only barely noticeable on the "butt dyno".

so is the lower raidiator support strong enough to support a skid plate ???

Depends how hard you are planning on hitting things!!:lol:

Seriously though, considering the bumper doesn't mount far from the core support, and that's really the only other place to mount it; yes, it should be strong enough for most applications. I would just be sure to pick some of the more structurally sound parts of the core support, and maybe use 4 mounting points rather than just 2. I would think that would work just fine, unless all heck breaks loose!