Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Specialized FSR Full Suspension Mt. Bike.

I've been wanting to buy a bike for some time. I found the GT iDrive and really like the frame design and the concept between the iDrive technology.

Then I came across this Specialized FSR and like it just as much, if not better. The reviews on the GT were good, except it was alittle heavy. The FSR reviews said its a great bike and mentioned how light the frame was.

I have found one on Craigslist and I think im going to jump on it.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/620124439.html

It also has a long list of upgrades.

Anyone got some input that would help? Thanks

That was easily a 2000+ dollar bike new. Sounds like a good deal. Are you going to be able to look at it? If so just check it for wear mainly on the frame and wheels. The drivetrain is inexpensive compared to those items. The shocks are both good brands. Its a solid bike for 800 bucks.

I should specify a bit better. When i say wear on the frame and wheels i mean: Are there any cracks in the frame where the tubes are welded together? Are there any dents? For wheels look to see that they are true. If they are a bit off its to be expected since its a mountain bike.

From the sound of it though i dont think you'll find these things on it. good all around bike at a good price. Said Shimano XT components. XTR was the top of the line followed by XT. XT is a bit stronger than XTR though since they lightened the XTR up for full race bikes.

Well, this beaut just popped up on Craigslist.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/626970586.html

So im kinda torn now.

Seems like the only thing the other bike has over this is rear disk brake. And the $800 bike has that nifty adjustable rear shock.

But I can prolly get this bike for $300 less. Emailed the guy, kinda worried why he mentioned the bike is best suited for parts. Im wondering if 3 years newer is worth the extra $300.

Well, this beaut just popped up on Craigslist.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/626970586.html

So im kinda torn now.

Seems like the only thing the other bike has over this is rear disk brake. And the $800 bike has that nifty adjustable rear shock.

But I can prolly get this bike for $300 less. Emailed the guy, kinda worried why he mentioned the bike is best suited for parts. Im wondering if 3 years newer is worth the extra $300.

He says parts or a little work. Its not in as nice shape as the other one im assuming but it too has great parts. I would go look at it and see if it needs new drivetrain components. If so chainrings arnt too bad and neither is a new chain and cassette. For 300 less though u might end up spending that 300 to get it to the point of riding reliably. Just food for thought.

Well, i went and looked at the $800 FSR. I couldn't say no. The upgrades alone are worth more than $800.

The suspension is pretty soft. Both front & rear is adjustable. The front is 80-100mm. The rear is a fox that has a air fitting.

Im uploading pix now. Already have a trip planned for sunday to break it in. I'll need to get a helmet and shoes, or new peddles as the ones on there now are the clip in type and real uncomfortable with my Vans.

Pictures soon :)

-Brian

*EDIT*

PIX :)http://photos.bydemons.com/v/toys/fsr/