Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ca Smog!!!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RdNkBrt

RdNkBrt

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • San Jose

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

Anyone know if you can pass SMOG with a Webber carb? looking at an out of state soob, so just trying to find out if I'll be able to register it here. thanks

#2 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

Nope.

no way to do it. The Weber 32/36 DGEV and DGAV are not CA smog legal.

As soon as the tech lifts the hood and see's the aftermarket airbox, he will fail you without even testing it and close the hood.

-Brian

#3 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,139 posts
  • WA

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

Even for a classic/antique?

#4 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:06 PM

Anything older than 1974 is smog exempt here in CA, so you can get away with putting a weber on them.

However, even if its a classic/antique its still required to have the factory smog equipment and original parts in order to pass a visual. Then its onto the real test.

#5 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,627 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:39 PM

Get a stock air box and cut it to fit the weber. Most techs dont know the difference. As long as everything else with the car is in order, and you lean it out a bit before inspection it should pass.

#6 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 903 posts
  • Paso Robles, California

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:56 PM

You obviously don't live here. The smog techs are getting more and more thorough with their inspections. I highly doubt that would get by them any more in this state.

#7 hatchsub

hatchsub

• Members
  • 2,627 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:40 PM

You obviously don't live here. The smog techs are getting more and more thorough with their inspections. I highly doubt that would get by them any more in this state.

What was your first clue :grin: The Location: Connecticut thing in my posts?

#8 crockettbrat

crockettbrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Crockett

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:35 PM

No way it would pass. Even if they didn't notice it wasn't the stock carb, the emissions would most likely not pass.

I just pulled my ea81 out of the brat tonight for my ej swap. Its even got a "new" y pipe with cat. The old lump ran great and passed smog last may.
http://www.ultimates...00&ppuser=21996

I'd let it go cheap (like a 12pack or something) minus the sensors I need off it.

Good luck.

Daniel

#9 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:06 AM

No way it would pass. Even if they didn't notice it wasn't the stock carb, the emissions would most likely not pass.

I just pulled my ea81 out of the brat tonight for my ej swap. Its even got a "new" y pipe with cat. The old lump ran great and passed smog last may.
http://www.ultimates...00&ppuser=21996

I'd let it go cheap (like a 12pack or something) minus the sensors I need off it.

Good luck.

Daniel

PM Sent

#10 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:50 AM

its possible a smog tech would not detect the weber if it was hidden under a stock air filter box.

However, its highly unlikely you will get it past the sniffer.

-Brian

#11 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,518 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:39 PM

its possible a smog tech would not detect the weber if it was hidden under a stock air filter box.

However, its highly unlikely you will get it past the sniffer.

I'll say first that I'm not advocating for the weber.

But.... I find the statement that it would be unlikely to pass the sniffer kinda odd.

Lets see. The engine would be burning the same gas, through the same engine, through the same CAT, with the same EGR valve.

I think as long as it wasn't too rich or lean, youd be fine.

Emmisions are looking for 3 things:

HydroCarbons (HC) mostly a result of mixture and efficiency of the engine(rings, valves, good compresion and timing) Catalytic Converter further reduces HCs.

Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) This is why you're EGR vavle is here. Fewer Oxides of Nitrogen are formed by way of lowering cylinder temps. Also highly influenced by ignition timing(failed mech and Vac advance systems in soob distys often causes high NOx readings)

COx(carbon mono and dioxide) Again, engine efficiency, and Catalytic Converter.

So... With a properly jetted and mixture adjusted weber, and all other emmisions systems being equal(EGR,CAT,Timing...) I would think a weber could pass a sniffer as easily as a non feedback Hitachi.

#12 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,139 posts
  • WA

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

Most, if not all, Weber additions to EA's have the EGR disabled/removed.

#13 hatchsub

hatchsub

• Members
  • 2,627 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:39 PM

Not mine :rolleyes:

#14 SuperchargedRS

SuperchargedRS

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Earth

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

unless you know someone in the biz I would just take my business elsewhere, have a friend in another state reg it for you and mail you the plates back that would do it.

I dont have any vehicles reg in CA as they are a little bit intrusive on ones privacy. They have a new law that they dont tell you about when you register your car and hand over your cash; if you dont show them your insurance card they will cancel your registration and by the time you get the notice it's usualy about a month after they canceled your plate # nice huh.
However they have a list of insurance compnays that can "help you" on the back of the letter... what a scam so as a rule of thumb I dont register anything there as I dont wish to fund there crap.

#15 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:53 PM

Unless it's a early 70's or older Weber it's got an EGR port. People only disable the EGR because they don't understand it.

GD

#16 The Keith

The Keith

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Sacramento, Ca

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:24 AM

It depends on your techs, I told mine my 83 GL was AWD not 4WD so he didn't even dyno it....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users