Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ca Smog!!!

You obviously don't live here. The smog techs are getting more and more thorough with their inspections. I highly doubt that would get by them any more in this state.

What was your first clue :grin: The Location: Connecticut thing in my posts?

No way it would pass. Even if they didn't notice it wasn't the stock carb, the emissions would most likely not pass.

I just pulled my ea81 out of the brat tonight for my ej swap. Its even got a "new" y pipe with cat. The old lump ran great and passed smog last may.

showphoto.php?photo=20002&cat=500&ppuser=21996

I'd let it go cheap (like a 12pack or something) minus the sensors I need off it.

Good luck.

Daniel

No way it would pass. Even if they didn't notice it wasn't the stock carb, the emissions would most likely not pass.

I just pulled my ea81 out of the brat tonight for my ej swap. Its even got a "new" y pipe with cat. The old lump ran great and passed smog last may.

showphoto.php?photo=20002&cat=500&ppuser=21996

I'd let it go cheap (like a 12pack or something) minus the sensors I need off it.

Good luck.

Daniel

PM Sent

its possible a smog tech would not detect the weber if it was hidden under a stock air filter box.

However, its highly unlikely you will get it past the sniffer.

I'll say first that I'm not advocating for the weber.

But.... I find the statement that it would be unlikely to pass the sniffer kinda odd.

Lets see. The engine would be burning the same gas, through the same engine, through the same CAT, with the same EGR valve.

I think as long as it wasn't too rich or lean, youd be fine.

Emmisions are looking for 3 things:

HydroCarbons (HC) mostly a result of mixture and efficiency of the engine(rings, valves, good compresion and timing) Catalytic Converter further reduces HCs.

Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) This is why you're EGR vavle is here. Fewer Oxides of Nitrogen are formed by way of lowering cylinder temps. Also highly influenced by ignition timing(failed mech and Vac advance systems in soob distys often causes high NOx readings)

COx(carbon mono and dioxide) Again, engine efficiency, and Catalytic Converter.

So... With a properly jetted and mixture adjusted weber, and all other emmisions systems being equal(EGR,CAT,Timing...) I would think a weber could pass a sniffer as easily as a non feedback Hitachi.

unless you know someone in the biz I would just take my business elsewhere, have a friend in another state reg it for you and mail you the plates back that would do it.

I dont have any vehicles reg in CA as they are a little bit intrusive on ones privacy. They have a new law that they dont tell you about when you register your car and hand over your cash; if you dont show them your insurance card they will cancel your registration and by the time you get the notice it's usualy about a month after they canceled your plate # nice huh.

However they have a list of insurance compnays that can "help you" on the back of the letter... what a scam so as a rule of thumb I dont register anything there as I dont wish to fund there crap.