Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Member and subaru owner

Just found and joined this group. I live up in the Lake Tahoe area of California ad just got an 89 GL wagon. Actually, I have had it for awhile with a blown motor and stuck another motor in it from a different 89. These cars are awesome! It's no wonder there are so many of them up here in the snow country. OK, so the deal is that it runs great but it has the typical lifter smack problem. I thought that this thing was going to blow up soon until I found this forum and learned. I did the oil change thing with an additive and what do you know, it cleared it up......for a bit. It still ticks about half the time hot or cold. My question is this; are these cars reliable for road trips sounding like this? I cant stand the thought of going very far with that noise, bugs the crap out of me and leaves me wondering if I will break down somewhere. I should have put an oil pump in it before I put it in cause it sounds like that is the real fix. Or better yet, put a rebuilt in it. Has anyone used CCR Rebulders out of Colorado? They have a web sight and seem to have great prices. Anyone?

Welcome to the board. As for the ticking noise, can't say how serious it is without hearing it/more info. If in doubt, there's an excellent resource just down the road from you in Sacramento -Subaru Junkie - long time board member. Take a road trip to his place and have him take a look at it. As far as CCR is concerned, there have been a ton of good comments written here about them. Happy Holidays.

first off, welcome to the board!..I myself am a californian, was just up in tahoe two days ago..I was amazed at how the subes outnumbered pretty much everything else! Anyway, I have had similar problems with my motor, and have noticed that changing the oil a few times and using additives every time tends to make the noises go away eventuall.

These noises are often times attributed to gunky lifters that cant pump up the oil pressure they need to fuction properly (in which case the additive works), or a bad oil pump seal which would require some time in the garage...

anyhoo, get a service manual and some hand tools and see if you can tackle the oil pump seal on your own, and keep changing the oil and using a quart of additive...

my .02

Unless its really really severe, I wouldn't worry about it blowing up on you. I drove mine from seattle to dallas.. I have had this engine in 2 cars over the past 2 years and it still ticks.. no problems, just annoying.. sometimes it will take a few treatments(ATF, MMO, whatever you use) to get rid of the tick if its due to clogged/dirty lifters.. sometimes doing an oil pump reseal/replacement will do the trick

Good luck

Welcome to the board

Welcome to the USMB.:D I'm headed up 50 to Tahoe in a few hours. They're saying about a foot or so of fresh powder by tomorrow. Christmas on the slopes anyone? :cool:

Anyway, I drove my 86 for 3 years with ticks before getting the oil pump and seals replaced. Didn't seem to do too much damage. And I used to abuse it pretty bad too.

Doggie:

The ticking took me awhile to get used to at first, but I don't worry about it anymore. This is one case where you can throw everything you thought you knew about cars out the window. You know it can't be good, but nothing bad ever happens. Just keep the oil clean, and at the right level (if you have oil leaks - also commonin the EA82). You could try the additives,or different oil weights, but don't be dissapointed when the ticking returns.

A "check engine" light should ALWAYS be dealt with, but noisy lifters wont make this happen. Clacking or knocking is a different story. I WOULD worry if thats the kind of noise you're hearing.

I like CCR alot, and would reccomend them if you needed a newly rebuilt engine. I don't know that their prices are neccessarily cheap however (sorry Emily!!). But for a rebuilt motor, they give you the most bang for the buck, IMO.

A more important system to keep an eye on in the Subes is the cooling system. Get into the habit of watching your temp guage as you drive in different conditions.

I put a lot of miles on my cars, and wouldn't hesitate taking my Sube anywhere, anytime. If you get this car caught up on it's maintenance schedule, you'll have no reason to hesitate either.

good luck, John

WOOHOO!!! Another local! Im located in Sacramento. I frequent Lake Tahoe for fishing, snowboarding, camping and off-roading.

The ticking is normal, should probably do the oil flush again, what addative did you use the 1st time? MMO does wonders.

These cars love road trips. Ive taken my 1984 GL Wagon from Sacramento to Seattle and back. Then again from Sacramento to Eugene Oregon and back. Both times i didnt have a single problem. And the valve tap on my EA81 is probably twice as bad as your original tap.

Do you ever take that thing off-road? Ever wanted to? Im always looking for more people willing to join me.

-Brian

If the valves are ticking - they are not properly inflated. Basically means that your valves won't open quite as far, and your engine will lose a bit of power, but should not cause any damage. Replaceing the oil pump, or even just resealing it can make this go away many times. If that doesn't do it, then it's a matter of removing and cleaning all the lifters..... not an easy job at all.

GD

if anything a loose particle in the engine got in the lifter. not to worry. how is your oil pressure. sometimes its caused by a bad oil pump seal, and air gets in the system. but not to worry, an oil pump seal change is recommemded any time you have the engine simewhat apart.

my buddy's RX just started to do it, still holds strong oil pressure. nothing bad, if anything, clean the lifters by hand, he was going to build up his turbos on a carbureted block

if worst comes to worse, and you have the motor apart for other reasons (or for this reason for that matter) you can take the cam boxes off, and remove the lifters and clean them by hand

but its not anything that will keep you from a road trip. i mayself pulled a brave maneuver taking my ride cross country, broken axle in wisconsin, gas tank failure in so. dakota, but NEVER had a problem with the motor

if anything will leave you stranded is a broken timing belt, so you might as well want to replace your timing belts for good measure, and while at it, do the oil pump seal.

i have never heard of anyone actually having to clean the lifters

goto autozone, pepboys or whatever supermarket auto parts place you have out there and drop $200 on a new oil pump, water pump and timing belts...this is a 2-3 hour job to someone who has some wrench turning experience.

when you put the engine back together it will tick for 5 minutes then never come back...its easier to replace the pump rather than service it, and sometimes the shaft on the pump is scored and its not worth the trouble anyway.

Thanks group for all the replies. Now, the ticking only occurs about 25% of the time, so it seems that things are getting better.

Next oil change I will go with Castrol GTX 20-50 and the MMO but pre flush with a little ATF after draining a little out. The clearance is a little low on these things but for the most part it shreds thru the snow. Very happy with this car! I have an 87 that needs fixing and will get it going soon now that I know how cool these cars are.

Jermdog

89 Subaru Gl Wagon-Stock

87 Subaru GL Wagon-Stock and blown up motor

89 MBZ 300 SEL-Stock

91 GMC Suburban-Stock

Man is it snowing up here! Been testing out my subaru and it does prety well. What cracked me up was this rubbing noise I was getting. Turns out that so much snow and ice built up in the rear wheel wells that there was no clearance for the tire to move!

I usually take my suburban out wheeling up here but am into the idea of takeing this thing out. I am only 20 minutes from the entance to the rubicon. I'm up for meating fellow subaru heads in my area for wheelin anytime.

I try to stay away from the rubicon. There are too many azzholes up there. Last time I was up there, they all pointed and laughed when they saw a lifted subaru. I dont need to go through that in order to enjoy myself. I frequent Kyburz. There are ALOT of great trails up there for stock and lifted sube's.

We're planning on going up there to board next tuesday. Im also planning on driving up to N.Tahoe to play in the snow thursday.

-Brian

Want a second opinion on the noise? I can meet you..I'm nearby. Can be anywhere in Tahoe within minutes.

The snow (and the skiing) over the last few days has been awesome..3 days, 3 different resorts.

I think TSJ and some of the other "flatlanders" are planning on hitting Donner Ski Ranch this week..join us! (Brian, I'll PM ya shortly)

Hey jermdog. It's good to see another local on this board. I'm just over the hill from you in Reno Nevada. A few of us get together and do some wheelin in the summer months. Your welcome to come along if you like.

As for your lifter noise, my 91 Loyale gets that way when it's really cold out. But usually goes away when the motor warms up. I put some marvel mystery oil at my last oil changed and that stuff seemed to quiet my motor a bit.

Later,

Jermdog, don't sweat the lifter racket; especially for a road trip.

Mine were clacking V E R Y loudly, to the point that people would stare at me at stop lights and I was asked several times when refueling if I had a rod knock or was my engine about to blow......

I drove it that way for 16 months.........I lost power and mileage, but never reliability.

I just went through the whole engine reseal, timing belts, water pump, remove cam cases, clean lash adjusters thing........it's a L O T of work to be sure, but I got a serious case of "might as well" syndrome and installed a clutch kit too..............Man, that new clutch is so smooooooth!:D My old one chattered.

All the advice given here is spot-on. Glad to see you are enjoying your car and it's uncanny off (and on) road abilities.

You won't be sorry if you do decide to tear into it; I know I learned a lot about my Sube, albeit the hard way.

Well worth the effort. :headbang:

• 3 months later...