Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rear EJ knuckle/hub assemblies interchange?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,261 posts
  • WV

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:35 AM

Looks like 2003 Impreza and 1997 Legacy rear hub assemblies/knuckles (entire hub, bearings, housing assembly) are interchangeable?

Does that mean the rear bearings and seals are all the same?

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,689 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:21 PM

Possibly, but there may be superceeded parts on the newer hub.

#3 aircraft engineer

aircraft engineer

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • close to Tacoma

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

the main thing to watch out for will be the ABS components on the newer unit and disc to drum issues. Backing plates bolt in directly (disc or drum - same bolts)

97 to 2003 drum to disc - The hub will have to come off anyway to install the disc backing plate because it has the ABS sensor

2003 to 97 - similar in reverse (will need to pull the hub to install the drum backing plate). If disc, I expect you still need to install the older backing plate, however, having no experience with that setup directly, I can't say for sure.

The 14mm backing plate bolts were on pretty tight (loctite on re-installation) I used an impact wrench on removal after I had pulled the hub out

Hub removal/reinstallation is not difficult IF you have a press.

8mm (might be 10 - I don't remember because I have a full set) flare nut wrench necessary for removal of the brake line at the wheel cylinder if drums.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,261 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

CRACK.....i'm using the wrong terminology....are the entire rear knuckles interchangeable.

some to think of it i do know that they went to a different tone wheel set up on the rear disc ABS brakes. hmm...wonder if i can make that work?

thanks!

#5 aircraft engineer

aircraft engineer

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • close to Tacoma

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:46 PM

beats me - I can only tell you how to SWAP 'EM :grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users