Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lock plate, lock washer

86 GL wagon 5spd carb front wheel drive.

back brakes were acting up so removed the rear axle nut and drum and had a look.

in the process i noticed the lock plate and lock washer which slide onto the keyed axle/spindle before the nut were both wore out and had no "nub" left to hold them in place.

does anyone know where i can order these 2 parts as i can find no one who can get them and i assume i'll lose a wheel if they dont function.

thanks in advance,

Bill

update:

got one off a 92 or 93 loyale at the j.y.

outside of the car looked rough but the dash, seats, visors and most of the interior was in unbelievable condition.

interior was that bluish-grey color in case anyone close was interested.

thanks, Bill

just to add to this post, the axle nuts and related cone and flat washers are interchangeable between any ea81 and ea82, front and rear. 1980-1994 dl, gl, loyale, xt, rx, gl-10 (yup that would be everything with a 36mm axle nut)

Snug the axle nut on with pliers until the drum turns with hand and only minimal bearing drag is felt. Wiggle the drum side to side and top and bottom. If there is play, snug the axle nut some more. Do this until there is no play in the drum, but you can rotate the drum back and forth with minimal drag (sensation of drag!), i.e. it is smooth. Rotate the drum by hand a few turns, forward and backwards, to seat the bearings. Check the axle nut again. Snug the axle nut on further if loose. Rotate drum with hands until minimal drag (sensation of drag!) on the bearings. Bend the tab on the lock washer (lock plate washer) over the nut. Make sure you check the seals also and replace if damaged. Also make sure your bearings are packed with adequate wheel bearing grease.

I do not have my 81 two wheel drive hatchback anymore, but I butchered up the rear bearings as I had overtightened them while doing the rear brakes and drove all the way to Pittsburgh from Atlanta. On the way it developed a howl from the rear wheels and I had to get both bearings replaced in Pittsburgh.

By the way, I have brand new lock plate washers that I purchased as spares for my 81 2-door hatch 2WD years ago (just need to find them). I can send two to you for $5 total, includes shipping. You do not even have to pay me. Just make a donation to USMB after you have received these. Make sure the 81 washers will work for you. Send me a PM if interested and I will hunt these down.

aba

thank you very much for the advice and the offer.

i actually took the lock washer and and lock plate off both sides of the junker so i have a spare now( I'm a firm believer in spare parts)

but i'm sure someone will be needing them.

i've almost had to total cars over simple little parts that were hard to find in the past so again thanks for the offer.

thanks, Bill

just to add to this post, the axle nuts and related cone and flat washers are interchangeable between any ea81 and ea82, front and rear. 1980-1994 dl, gl, loyale, xt, rx, gl-10 (yup that would be everything with a 36mm axle nut)

With the exception of 2wd rear wheels. Which is the topic of this thread.

They use a totally different setup. More akin to old RWD front wheel bearings.

• 7 years later...

Reviving this old thread because it's the only one I've found talking about those rear lock washers for the rear bearings on a FWD ea82 car..

Does anybody have a dealer part number for those? Or does anybody know if there's a way to get them aftermarket?

The one on my loyale has the keyed portion torn off, so it no longer really locks into the spindle when you slip it on, only the indentation in the bearing..

I would like to replace them on both of my FWD loyales so I need 4 of them.