Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do you remove a transmission?

84 GL Wagon, d/r 4sp, 3 in. lift ...

I'll be starting my garage-warming project pretty soon and need some detailed direction on how to drop the tranny for replacement. This will be the first one for me and all the literature i have ( FSM, HTKYSA) don't really dive into this.

thanks.

He IS right, it is fairly simple and straight forward.

Just feel around the tranny and remove anything that is holding the tranny in place: driveshafts (3), shifter linkages, 4WD linkages (vacuum operated), DR linkages, small electrical harnass.

Since it's lifted you'll have plenty of room to look/feel around and you probably can remove the halfshafts with just removing the roll pin and pulling them off the stub.

Finally unbolt the transmission crossmember while you support the tranny with a jack. Now comes the hard part (or atleast the heavy part), pull the tranny STRAIGHT off towards the back of the car and it will come out. If it doesn't come out at first, wiggle it around a little, it may hang up on the studs.

Thanks screwball , way to go, congrats.icon14.gificon14.gif

Now that i know it is fairly simple and straight forward i feel real confident:rolleyes:

Are you going to install the 5-speed or keep with the 4

jeremy, i'm going with a known good 82 4spd.

I found that while using the search function, but i appreciate the gesture!

:-\

Here's how I'd do it.

Drain the oil out of the tranny. It takes a 19mm or 22mm wrench. If it's 22mm a 7/8 socket works too.

Remove the driveshaft from the rear diff. 4 bolts, 2 12mm wrenches.

Remove the front axles, they are held in with roll pins.

Unbolt the shifters from the tranny, should be able to do from underneath. 12mm wrench and socket should work.

Unbolt the 4 bolts on the bell housing and the starter. 14mm socket and probably an extension. Two bolts on top, two on bottom. Make sure the clutch cable is removed and hill holder.

Put a jack underneath the tranny and put it up to the tranny and put some pressure on it. Then undo the tranny crossmember (two bolts, 17mm socket) and lower it, hopefully with someone's help.

There might be a ground wire on the tranny, make sure to remove it.

Take caution in lowering the transmission so it doesn't drop and make sure everything is disconnected once it's started lowering.

Good luck. Have :drunk: on hand.

• 5 months later...

Well that sure took a while :eek: Here's what i accomplished while the board was down.

The wagon is up and running again, with the "new" 130k mile 82 4 spd and a new clutch setup!!

I'm stoked, having done all the work myself. If i can do it any one can!! The job wasn't too hard, easier than the motor swap i had done on my cousins' ea81 a week prior. It truly is relatively straight forward, it was just a matter of actually diving into it.

I *highly* recommend renting a tranny jack for this job, it would have been a bear without...

Old worn tranny out

DSC00032.jpg

Hmm no spring clips, so thats what the the problem was ;)

DSC00033.jpg

Clutch disc remnants, as peeled away from the flywheel:

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

Here is the difference between 81/82 & 83+ Throwout bearing and holder, The former being on the right. I used the 82 holder in the 82 transmission, although it mated perfectly with the bearing in the 84 kit :confused:

DSC00036.jpg

Here's us above the Carson City prison this afternoon

fghj017.jpg

I left the sway bar off after the tranny install, it is a little more exciting on the road, but on the trails i didn't notice much difference.

She's running like a champ...Everything is good to go for the 445 mile trip down to SoCal this weekend.

Edited by Greenley
DF

Wow my old wagon is looking good! Im glad the transmission swap went well. I bet it feels like a new beast! Now that I think about it I don't think I did the clutch on that wagon while I owned it. I asked the previous owner and he said the he had the clutch done by a shop in Chico.

Got pictures of the front end? Looks like you did some cutting!

Good luck on your road trip! Let me know how she does. :)

Edited by subieman

Not to hijack but I'm about to pull my 3 speed auto to replace the front diff housing portion on my 4x4 tranny. Wife will just not let me put a 5 speed in. Is there anything I should know perhaps tools, procedures, or gaskets between this unit I'm putting in and the flywheel housing and the tranny itself? I have never taken an auto transmission off the engine, torque converters have always been this elusive thing I knew was right behind the engine but never see it. I think my torque converter still has plenty of life left but should I watch out for anything in there while taking the tranny off? Also, this may sound stupid but can I change fluids in the tc? I don't think the fluid in there circulates with the regular tranny fluid loop.

I've got the manual for how to keep your subie alive but it is pretty brief on auto tranny repair specifics.

Thanks for any help

Not to hijack but I'm about to pull my 3 speed auto to replace the front diff housing portion on my 4x4 tranny. Wife will just not let me put a 5 speed in. Is there anything I should know perhaps tools, procedures, or gaskets between this unit I'm putting in and the flywheel housing and the tranny itself? I have never taken an auto transmission off the engine, torque converters have always been this elusive thing I knew was right behind the engine but never see it. I think my torque converter still has plenty of life left but should I watch out for anything in there while taking the tranny off? Also, this may sound stupid but can I change fluids in the tc? I don't think the fluid in there circulates with the regular tranny fluid loop.

I've got the manual for how to keep your subie alive but it is pretty brief on auto tranny repair specifics.

Thanks for any help

First of all, why do you need to replace it?

Altho the 3AT 4wd tranny is a POS, most of the time its the governor that goes out. Which cause erratic shifting, or none at all.

Its very easy and fast to replace, theres a write up in the USRM.

And splitting the front diff from the main is more of a hassle than just replacing the whole tranny.

well the diff gears in the front are in pretty bad shape as the owner before let the oil leak out of the spline shaft seals go too long i.e. no oil. Changing the oil in the diff didn't help a whole lot in the growling noise and loose gear meshing from the wear I can only imagine happened. So I picked up a factory new front diff (at a steal or I wouldn't of ever dreamed trying to change it out.) From the looks of it it is just 9 or so bolts from the tranny into the diff and then about equal amounts of bolts from the inside of the bell housing that run back into the diff. I've searched and haven't found much on people actually cracking the 3at open on the front end to replace the diff. My modulator is in good but I'm going to get a new one with the swap just so everything is back to the way engineers designed it. I haven't had erratic shifting at all. Like I said the tranny drivability is still great, it is just the whining diff that I'm looking to nix. I'm curious, the shaft that will mate up with the torque converter, there are no splines, how does that hook up?

Here some pics of what I'm looking at, notice the factory new paint marking on the gears.

post-22261-136027629451_thumb.jpg

post-22261-136027629461_thumb.jpg