Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am thinking of changing my transmission fluid in my 2002 Forester,using Amsoil Universal Automatic Fluid .The Forester has 85K on it. Is this a good idea ? Or should I just use what the Subaru manual calls for.Dexron III.Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks jerryjetman

Amazing timing of your post. I just got off the telephone talking with a friend of a friend who was a Subie tech guy at a dealership. He now sells Amsoil products here in Indiana.

Just started having bad trouble with my 99 OBW trany with delayed forward engagement of the AT. The tech suggested replacing the low clutch timing solenoid, AT filter, and adding 5 quarts of Amsoil synthetic ATF. Give me a few months, and I will give you a testimonial on Amsoil. Yes, I know that 5 quarts is just half of the fluid capacity, but that is the amount that he recommended.

Amazing timing of your post. I just got off the telephone talking with a friend of a friend who was a Subie tech guy at a dealership. He now sells Amsoil products here in Indiana.

Just started having bad trouble with my 99 OBW trany with delayed forward engagement of the AT. The tech suggested replacing the low clutch timing solenoid, AT filter, and adding 5 quarts of Amsoil synthetic ATF. Give me a few months, and I will give you a testimonial on Amsoil. Yes, I know that 5 quarts is just half of the fluid capacity, but that is the amount that he recommended.

rut-roh

There is an internal seal that goes bad. Someone on the outback list said it can be replaced without doing a rebuild, i am looking into it.

nipper

Any of the 'universal' ATFs will normally run just fine as a Dex-III replacement. Shift quality may feel a little different. If you don't like it, switch back. Give it a couple weeks at least, though, to give the computer time to learn the new fluid. Either way, there won't be any damage or wear troubles.

Hi. I'm running the amsoil syn atf in all my soobs and it works great. I have run mobil1 syn atf in the past and it worked great too.

I would suggest the pump and dump method for changing the atf. If you just drain via the pan drain plug you are only going to get like half the fluid out, and then your amsoil atf is going to be mixed with whatever was in there before.

Here's that shrinking seal pic for the delayed engagement:

4eat-shrinking-seal-md.jpg