Ultimate Subaru Message Board

notes on replacing steering rack boots

the replacement Beck Arnley boots at Advanced auto parts were very nice. It came with a zip tie but i just used the original spring like clamp that was on there.

the boot was a very tight fit over the end of the tie rods. without some playing around i don't know that it's possible to install every time without ripping the boot, although they are very tough.

i greased the entire tie rod up really well and slid the boot on. then i pre-stretched the tiny hole on the outside end with a screw driver, going around it to help make it supple and slide on easier. even with the grease it was super tight to get on. i had to use a screw driver the entire way to get it past the threads, just working the flat head screw driver around the circumference to help slide it on. lift up on the screwdriver and the boot slides back a tiny amount, then work it all the way around...repeat.

i wasn't sure what kind of grease to use inside the boot on the inner tie rod and joint. i ended up just using wheel bearing/CV grease. hope that's okay?

wouldn't be terribly hard to just slide the boot back enough to clean out and regrease if that's the wrong kind.

and of course with a rusty tie rod nut it got fun. break the nut and tie rod loose with a tie rod in place. i actually got an old tie rod so as not too put that much pressure on my good one that i was going to retain. took heat, PB plaster and massive leverage to break that nut loose.