Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

help me determine what engine this is

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xt61991

xt61991

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:36 AM

A garage change the motor in my 99 rs and there not sure what year car the motor came out of.
The motor says ej2.2 on the block. I need to the year the motor was made and stuff like that.

I will post some pics of the motor to help. I can take close ups if they are needed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 backwoodsboy

backwoodsboy

vintagesubaruparts

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • upstate NY, in the woods

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:44 AM

That looks like a phase II EJ22 to me.
Tough to tell *exactly* what year car it is out of though.

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,058 posts
  • WV

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:44 AM

Count how many engine block to transmission bolt holes there are.
There will be 4 or 8 bolt holes on the engine bellhousing and transmission.

It is possible to mate a 4 bolt engine to 8 bolt transmission..and the other way around. So let us know what BOTH of them are, not just one.

Engine - is it 4 or 8?
Trans - is it 4 or 8?

#4 xt61991

xt61991

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

Well i looked at the car i can only see 6 bolts on the tranny and the motor. I am sure i missed some so there is probley 8 bolts.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,058 posts
  • WV

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:56 AM

then we're dealing with all Phase II stuff 1999+
problem with that is i believe there are changes even from 1999 to 2000 to 2002...so it might be tough to narrow this down.

i would look at the TPS, knock sensor, and MAF and write down the part numbers off of them. then punch those part numbers in at subarupartsforyou.com or subarugenuineparts.com. look up those part numbers and see if you can cross reference anything that shows you what motor it may be.

using that method you should be able to track it down. you might have to call subaru or stop in and actually look since the Hitachi Part Number on the side of the actual part might differ from Subaru's part number....but this method will work if you put some effort into it.

#6 xt61991

xt61991

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:52 AM

Thanks i do it right after lunch. This is almost like dealing with my exployer. Ever year something new:lol::clap::confused:

#7 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,402 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:57 AM

there should ba a vin# etched into the block on the passenger side, kinda low very close to the rear edge. but i don't think you'll ever see it with the engine in the car. i had to look twice with the engine on the bench.

auto trans have the same thing on drivers side in the center of the case.

#8 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,474 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:17 AM

Posted Image

The thing that bothers me about this is where are the wires for the MAF, ,pressure sensor, and solenoid???? They should be part of the body harness. Swapping engines should not affect those wires?

Where are they? I don't think getting an intake harness will solve anything cause the MAF wires are not part of the intake harness. You really need to look at all the body harness in that area and see if you can find where they chopped the harness off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users