Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Subaru Forester diag codes 38 and 93

Hi,

My 99 Forester AT temp light started blinking and I brought it to a subaru dealer that I do not normally go to. The diag codes that came out are a 38 - torque condition fault and a 93 - vehicle speed sensor. The dealer told me that it seems like an electrical problem. I said "what about the speed sensor, couldn't that be causing the codes". They said the problem is with the transmission wiring harness at a cost of about $750 bucks. They reset the code and said to wait to see if it returns.

Am I getting ripped off here? Do I need to find another place?

thanks

Both speed sensors are external. VSS1 bolted into rear of trans, VSS2 is screwed into the front passenger side of the trans.

The rear ones wiring is wrapped up with the other wiring for the trans. It would require stripping wrapping off but it should be replacble without removing the trans or the entire harness(which goes through the trans case and inside it PITA) The dealer is going to want a bunch of money to monkey with it. Replacing it yourself would be WAAAY cheaper.

The front one is an easy 5 minute swap, old one screws out, new one in. Did they specify which one???

Torque condition fault, i am not sure what that is. It may be the speed sensors or the torque converter. I am not sure if this has one.

Good news is that its not a duty c solenoid issue.

I have problems beleiving its a bad harness. Is there another dealer you can go to to get a second opinion. Or if its a damaged harness, you should be able to see it.

The price sounds excessive, but usually subaru is pretty good with diagnosing tranny issues. Maybe try unpluging and then re plugging in the connectors at the tranny. If you search here there is a method for pulling the tranny codes so you dont have to keep going back to them.

nipper

I have problems beleiving its a bad harness. Is there another dealer you can go to to get a second opinion. Or if its a damaged harness, you should be able to see it.

The price sounds excessive, but usually subaru is pretty good with diagnosing tranny issues.

I have problems believing that too. More in depth work taking ohms readings is involved to find that out. They just scanned codes??? C'mon:rolleyes:

However, if the harness that goes inside the trans to the solenoids and sensors truely needs replaced it will be expensive. The rear transfer extension and the pan have to come off the trans, the valve body has to be removed, and then all the sensors unplugged. THEN The harness can be fed back out through the opening in the case.

I say get codes scanned and a diagnosis at another dealer.