Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lift Kits?

cacustom

• 2 years later...
I was on the sjr website looking around and is there a way someone could show pictures of everything being installed step by step so i can get a better look. i plan on doing a 4 inch for my ea81 but i want to make sure im doing it right and not gonna mess anything up.

Buy the lift and start a thread in the Off Road forum. You'll get tons of guidance. All's you have to do is ask for it. The biggest obstacle is working safely and not stripping or twisting off bolts. A digi cam and uploads will help other's help you.

As far as building one,yeah,you or I or anybody could eventually build our own lift. But, unless you have good fab skills, all the correct tools to build one or, take great pride in building your own stuff, your far better off buying one. I have none of that,so,I bought SJR's 4" and I couldn't be happier.

I do have a few random pic's if your really interested in seeing them.

By all means, you are welcome here, but you're putting your opinion into things you have no practical experience or knowledge about.

After some time, sure you'll know all about subaru and what wonderful things you can do with/to them, but your first post was an attack on an established member of this site who provides goods and services to the members here.

Why don't we have a do-over, and you introduce yourself and the subie you have and we'll call it good.

By no means was I bashing at that guy who sells the kits. I never said "hey don't buy this guys stuff". I know SJR has wonderful and advanced products, I was only stating if the guy wanted a basic lift kit that wouldn't burn a hole in his pocket there are plenty of ways he could do it. He could buy SJR if he wanted precision, make it himself, or have another person make it on here. I apologize if we got off on the wrong foot but I'm not part of any sales pitch for a specific product. I'm merely giving options.

As far as introductions, my names Luke, 18 from southern Illinois. I own a 1987.5 GL-10 XT also known as the Unicorn.

There sure is a lot of drama in this thread.

But, if you are looking for some good kits, either hit up the vendor forums, or sjrlift.com. But at the same token, a lot of us have made our own kits, it's fairly simple and pretty straight forward (but I have never used a cutting torch on one :eek:)

Let us know your location and somewhere here will be able help you build one, and refer you to someone close who can

If you are looking for a 2" "suspension style" lift on an EA82 body; you would be far better building it yourself, or at the most having someone assist you with some of the parts. You can cut the cost DRASTICALLY compared to the prices found elsewhere.

The 2" lift takes very little fabrication skill, and with the vast ammount of information already provided, you could have it made at a local steel fab shop for far less than what I've seen them offered for here.

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94629&highlight=markus56+lifted

This thread has alot of the information, along with a sketch of a diagram for the front blocks. Along with the description included, you should be able to figure it out. Read up on this, and the other methods used for the rear half of the lift. Once you read a bit about it; it'll be easy to spot people to ask questions to, and usually they'll be happy to help you along.

This isn't rocket science. Whether it's a 2" or a 6", it's still all pretty simple. But, if you don't have the brain/talent/equipment for it; I can totally understand dropping $300-$800 on $20-$100 worth of steel with holes punched in it, $40 worth of bolts, and some instructions.

Yes, lift blocks are the way to go if you are looking for a 2" lift. But if I was to do it again (which I will be doing next summer) you are better off to go with a larger lift and doing it in the body lift (cross member/frame blocks) just so you won't have to do it later on. And they really aren't as difficult to install as you think. Just something to consider

My .02 I have a 2" lift on my wagon now with no body lift, just the hats and shock extention. It feels like it's about to blow it self appart. it has a very solid ride with quick spring back on bumps. Feels like it's floating on the road. I'm looking forward to the SJR 4" Just to see if the ride is any better.

I went from boring, ea82 wagon to functioning wheeler in about six hrs. The install was absolutly problem free and It's Solid. And, I did it with no help. That in itself is a testament to the R&D that went into this lift. And for me,that's priceless.:)

IMG_5041.jpg

I slung a comealong in the rafters to hold the weight of the engine and tranny. It helped not to have floor jacks in the way underneath the rig. And,it seemed safe.It worked well.

IMG_5043.jpg

I used ratcheting straps in this fashion on both sides of the wagon in order to pull the sub-frame forward a couple inch's. I had to do that to line up the holes. The side to side was easy to line up as the engine was slung from the rafters. It just kinda swung back and forth with a easy push.

IMG_5042.jpg

You have to make this cut in the rear bump stop pads in order for the strut to stand up straight again after you drop the diff. Very simple thing.

IMG_5046.jpg

IMG_5047.jpg

Other random pic's. Nothing too much here.Just bolt the stuff on.

IMG_5054.jpg

IMG_5055.jpg

IMG_5059.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

This is what I did to drop the rear of the shift linkage. I found this metal thing at the hardware store and cut a "Z" shaped piece off the end. Drilled two holes and bolted it in.. It pretty much just drops the back of the linkage down about 1-3/4".

IMG_5067.jpg

IMG_5068.jpg

I built the exact steering linkage that Scott shows in his DVD. I'd show you a pic of it,but my camera died.

Edited by markjw

Looks good :banana:

Thanks,Noah....It's actually my wife's ride. It took a while,but she finally came around to seeing things Our way.

I'm going to attempt my first ej swap on this wagon but, not for awhile. I'm tired of messing with it for now. I spent the majority of my time off from work wrenching on this thing (two weeks). Re sealed the motor, complete front end re build, brakes all the way around and the lift. And,the fender flares.

And,I replaced all the heater boxes behind the dash with parts from that white Loyale at Tacoma PAP. (Yeah,that was me who gutted that poor thing). Mice destroyed the ducting on this car. It sat up in Shelton for a couple yrs before I got it. My favorite part of the wagon?, the Sweet Yakima racks, with keys...:)

IMG_5082.jpg

Edited by markjw

Mark,

That thing looks great! That gives me an idea of how mine will look when I'm done. I painted my kit with orange rustoleum. Otherwise, I'll be doing the same thing. The rafter trick is cool. There is a nice beam right over where I will be installing it... I'll take some pictures, too, and put them in my build thread.

I also dig the fender flairs. By the way, what size tires are those? How much clearance do you have under the rear diff?

Thanks

Thanks,Noah....It's actually my wife's ride. It took a while,but she finally came around to seeing things Our way.

I'm going to attempt my first ej swap on this wagon but, not for awhile. I'm tired of messing with it for now. I spent the majority of my time off from work wrenching on this thing (two weeks). Re sealed the motor, complete front end re build, brakes all the way around and the lift. And,the fender flares.

And,I replaced all the heater boxes behind the dash with parts from that white Loyale at Tacoma PAP. (Yeah,that was me who gutted that poor thing). Mice destroyed the ducting on this car. It sat up in Shelton for a couple yrs before I got it. My favorite part of the wagon?, the Sweet Yakima racks, with keys...:)

IMG_5082.jpg

Thanks for the Comments,Guys.

I used Flexy Flare for the wheel moldings. This is the first time I have used it. It came out Ok,but it's expensive for what you end up with ($70). I read about garden edging and Jetta flares and other options. Next time,I'll use something else. Something less expensive.

Sorry Kanurys, I didn't measure the clearance under the diff and, I can't measeure right now as I'm at work for a couple more weeks. But, the tires are Wal-Terrains.

Uniroyal Liberators 225/70R14. About 26.5" according to Miata.