Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with buying a Subaru

Hi, Newbe here. I am in the market for a Subaru. I am looking for one in the late 70s to early 80s, 4 dr wagon, 4X, manual. Any sujestion, pointers or info would be great to read. Or point me in the right direction to one for sell around the Bonney Lake, WA area. I do have my eye on an 84 right now. Thanks

The 84 would be a good bet, it could possible have the hydraulic lifter EA81 (1800cc) engine in it. You are in the right neighborhood, there are a few other board members in that area, it might be good for you to get to know one of them, his board name is Qman. Is there any reason why it needs to be a wagon?? What about a Hatchback, they have the same EA81 engine but were available up to the 89 model year.

The 84 does not have timing beltsn and are generally troublt free compared to ea82 timing belted motors

they are less likely to crack a head

it has a 4spd dual range transmission. it is common to swap in a leter model 5spd 4wd for better off roadability, with some modification

Main thing to look for is the axles, see if the boots are torn or axles make noise.

but dont turn down a deal over axles(although it makes goos haggling grounds)

if the car itself is deemed solid and well-kept. it would be worth it to invest in axle to ensure a trouble free ride.

but the axle thing is expected with any subaru.

plus should you chose to replace or modify parts, subarus are widely interchangeable with the right combinaton of parts

Originally posted by Dr. RX

The 84 would be a good bet, it could possible have the hydraulic lifter EA81 (1800cc) engine in it. You are in the right neighborhood, there are a few other board members in that area, it might be good for you to get to know one of them, his board name is Qman. Is there any reason why it needs to be a wagon?? What about a Hatchback, they have the same EA81 engine but were available up to the 89 model year.

The hatchback vs the wagon. HHmmm, I am guessing the hatchback is the two door version? I am wanting the most room I can get. A 4dr would be great for me. I like to put my MTBike and gear in the back. I am not much into doing the roof rack thing.

What is the difference with the hatchback and wagon?

Keep the info coming. I am taking notes. I am going to look at an 85 tomorrow. From talking on the phone it is in decent shape, runs well, new clutch. $990 big ones.

How many miles can one of these typically go before rebuild?

Thanks

Hatch is smaller inside. Also has the big camaro doors like the Brat - kind of a pain. I'm willing to live with it tho.

The hatch is prefered for off-roading because of it's superior departure angle - having very little sheet metal behind the rear wheel. Also has a shorter wheelbase.

The EA82 is a good engine - you should know that they blow timing belts like clockwork every 60k miles or so.... stay away from the older turbo's - they aren't as reliable. Tend to blow headgaskets more than the NA ones. They will all blow tho if you overheat them.

The EA81 in the 84 and older doesn't have the timing belt, so no problem there. There was a turbo version of this as well - rare and hard to find parts for. EA81's can go well over 300k miles. My friend has a daily driver that's at 320k right now.....

The EA82 is a good engine too - probably just as reliable with the exception of that timing belt issue.... not quite as easy to work on, but still fairly easy.

$990 sounds a bit high for an 85 - it would have to be in very nice shape I would say. Talk to Qman - he probably knows of something for sale up there.

GD

well, for a bike, you could fit it in a hatch with the seat down and the front wheel off.. i like wagons for the space issue too, though. nice to have sleeping room in your car :D

you might be able to get a bike rack for a trailer hitch reciever. you'd of course need one of those too... whatever you get, good luck!