Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I remove axles by dropping rear diff?

The rear diff and both axles need to come off a 96 Legacy sedan.

So will the rear axles come off by dropping the rear diff alone? I know you can do that on the XT6 but with pinned axles that's a big difference from the EJ axle through set up. So I think i'm hosed?

I'll have to remove that pinch bolt that is guaranteed to be seized...which is what i'm worried about. One bolt requiring two hours of labor is really annoying.

Can I at least only remove one axle? After that the diff should drop and the other side can slide out without messing with the hub/bolt, right?

You probably won't be able to drop the diff or the axles without undoing something on hub.

I usually remove the long bolt that connects the lateral links to the rear hub. That will usually give me enough play to get the axles off the stubs of the rear diff. That's the way I'd do it. Then you can remove the rear diff.

Yeah, I've done it on a few Leg's and SVX's. You'll need to get the exhaust out of the way, or it may not allow the axle to drop far enough to get clear. I suggest "popping" the stubs out of the diff while the diff is still solidly attached. Trying to get that initial "pop" when the diff is hanging in the air can be a real PITA.

You can also get the rear axle out by disconnecting it from the strut and leaving the lateral bolt in place.

i just did it on my XT6 today, may i humbly suggest that you don't let the diff just drop on your hand :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead::eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: " *%^@# "

i now have two disconnected drive lines (4 if you count the front) and one very puffy and colorful finger :banghead:

chris

i just did it on my XT6 today, may i humbly suggest that you don't let the diff just drop on your hand
i know it's possible on an XT6 and that diff is unruly when it lets loose hanging by the axles. it's amazing how much heavier it seems when you're awkwardly working from underneath.....hang tight and good luck with the digits.

Done it on 2 different Legacys now. Quite easy as once you get it hanging you can just boot the diff with your foot to break the axles loose.

+1 for dropping it on your hand hurting - did it once and it does not come reccomended.

i pulled it off (pun intended). the rear diff and both axles came off without touching anything else like on the hubs. once the diff comes down there's plenty of room to pry the axles off. the rusted bolts made it a much more ridiculous job than it had to be.

of course every bolt but one came off (most needed a breaker bar). one of the rear diff hanging bolts wouldnt' come off and ended up stripped really bad. lucky for me it runs through a rubber bushing. being the idiot that i am i blasted it with a torch until it melted away to nothing. awesome, it worked....and the nuts/melted bushing and stud are still on the diff so i can always remember the fun.