Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FIXED!! Trany delayed forward engagement

... I bought a different brand of stop leak endorsed by NHRA labeled to serve the same function. I bought a 24oz. "Lucas Transmission Fix" which claims "Compatible with all transmissions and transmission fluids." as well as "Will not void new car warranties!" I figured this would be an acceptable alternate.

I would say my trans is now performing 95% without the additive. I may try the additive after more time to see if there is any significant difference but functionally it is working fine now. I feel I need more time both driving and aging to be able to say the Syn. ATF was all that was needed.

I will post again when I have more proof. Thanks for all the advice!

It has now been a few months since I had the ATF flushed, added AmsOIL, but left out the Stop Slip. Slowly over the last couple weeks the slip has begun to show again. It is subtle and still way better than it was before the flush. I will now be adding the Stop Slip, which I am confident will reduce the slip entirely.

I Will update with results.

Thanks.

I just thought I'd post a picture of the correct product:

Thanks for the picture. That was very helpful. Somehow I had originally missed others stating that the LucasOil additive specifically failed. On to search for Trans-X.

Edited by Mehkael

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the Trans X fix. We have a 2000 Legacy automatic that I bought in 03. There was always a delay going into D. This summer it would not go in at all unless you rev and hope for the best, Finally it was not driveable.

I bought a can of trans X at NAPA and dumped it in on the existing fluid. It took some reving to get it to engage the first time. I drove it for half hour. It has been running fine since and engaging faster than when we bought it! That was 3 months and 3000km ago.

Thanks for saving me from a giant bill to repair or replace the car.

Edited by Subyslip

Thanks for the Trans X fix. We have a 2000 Legacy automatic that I bought in 03. There was always a delay going into D. This summer it would not go in at all unless you rev and hope for the best, Finally it was not driveable.

I bought a can of trans X at NAPA and dumped it in on the existing fluid. It took some reving to get it to engage the first time. I drove it for half hour. It has been running fine since and engaging faster than when we bought it! That was 3 months and 3000km ago.

Thanks for saving me from a giant bill to repair or replace the car.

Another Trans-X success story. I just love it. Trans-X has been in my 99's trany now for about 2 years and 20K Miles. Still running well on the product. It simply amazes me that the product works so fast to fix the problem. Seems like only the 99s and 00s are cursed with this problem

The 4EAT trans in my 2000 OBW (261k) seems to be working OK. What do you think of using Trans-X as a sort of preventive measure? If I can head off any potential problems, I'd like to do that. I have been doing a partial trans fluid change by draining the four quarts in the pan and replacing it with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF about every 10,000 miles, which I think should help the health of the trans.

• 2 weeks later...

I echo these comments. I posted earlier about needing to replace my '99 legacy tranny due to severe lag in forward engagement - up to 30 or 45 seconds. Of course the dealer said i needed to replace . I added Trans X a week ago and the tranny works flawlessly and i have driven 2K so far !!!!! I am astounded:banana:

• 2 weeks later...
Hello

2 months later now... Are there any new things happened? Every transmission still fixed?

Having the same problems here in Belgium (Europe).

Read my story here below. Glad to read your feedback.

Greetz

Guy Cornet, Belgium

Hi all

Here's a sad story. I'm following this thread for several months now, but as I live in Belgium (Europe), it's impossible to import Trans-X to Europe because of environmental regulations!

I think that this might be the reason why my dealer is unable to get the Trans-X: maybe the customs don't let this product pass the European borders.

But our car is sometimes dangerous to drive with, and we only have one car!

My question to anyone of you:

is there someone in the USA who can buy me a can (or two) of Trans-X and send it to Belgium? PLEASE? I'm willing to pay with PayPal or Visa. See my eBay Feedback profile here: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=guy-pc&ftab=AllFeedback

Or is someone of you travelling to Europe? Or do you know someone who will?

As you can understand all, we are getting pretty desperate.

So PLEASE I hope to receive positive feedback.

And also another important (but easier) question: as we (in Belgium) are not at all familiar with "fluid oz", "pints", "quarts" and other measures of volume that are non-metric, could you (Rooster2) please convert the measures in metric values? So, how much ml (milli-liter) of ATF do I have to drain and refill with Trans-X?

That is, when and if I can get my hands on the so much desired Trans-X?

Desperate guyc from Belgium thanks you very much

Never thought we would be smuggling Trans-x.

:rolleyes:

Brazil is also a critical state..But there was a very friendly US citizen who send me a package. To get the thing rolling you sometimes have to forget borders.

Same brand and equal problems does unify , is very nice with this kind of forum. Thanks to all.

Thanks for your reply, Hendrik.

I asked you in a PM how you got Trans-X, but this resolves my question. Perhaps you can let me know (in a PM) who this person was, and is he willing to do the same for me?

This is all taking too long!

Groetjes

Guy

it is hard for me to imagine that some one isn;t making a similar product in europe. but i haven't even looked into it and others have.

subarus, motor oil, atf, are all sold world wide, why not a seal repair / stop leak for auto trans.

i'll bet transx has even looked into it and for what ever reason has chosen not too.

but again, i have not looked into it so i don't know.

Edited by johnceggleston

it is hard for me to imagine that some one isn;t making a similar product in europe. but i haven't even looked into it and others have.

There are a number of products , also in Europa who advertize doing the same thing , but no one is proven like the US product we are talking about.

There are a number of products , also in Europa who advertize doing the same thing , but no one is proven like the US product we are talking about.

ok, but for 10$ what have you got to loose.

maybe the others don't work, but if i was running trans-x, either i'd be selling it in europe and asia or i'd be franchiseng with some else to do it.

EDIT:

try looking here, they make a stop leak / seal conditioner and are located in the UK.

http://www.silverhook.co.uk/

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/107691768/Automatic_Transmission_and_Power_Steering_Stop/showimage.html?pn=1&pt=10&newId=107691768&cids=null#breadcrumbs

i've shipped power steering fluid overseas, didn't think to check about that. someone sent me Wine from an international destination, is that legal?

is tranx X flammable? i assume it is, but did anyone read the label?

technically speaking the USPS can't ship anything based on the questions they always ask me "Is there anything liquid, fragile, perishable, or potentially dangerous." The answer is always yes - most car parts are potentially dangerous...if you try and eat them...drop them on your head...throw them at someone!?!?

seems like it shouldn't be that hard to get it or it's equivalent/counterpart elsewhere.

Technically, you'd have to use UPS and declare the contents of the shipment. If the fluid isn't either flammable or combustible, it would be classified in shipping as an ORM-D (other regulated materials). The same goes for aerosols like paint. Even the blue common windshield washer solvent is an ORM in shipping because of it's alcohol content. Next time you're at the store, look at a case of washer fluid in the automotive department and you'll see a small box stamped on it with the ORM-D there. It's all part of the hazardous materials in shipping laws enacted some years ago by DOT. I'm a hazardous materials and WMD tech so I know a little about this stuff.

I'm quite sure a lot of prohibited items go through the USPS every day and just aren't caught because they're well packaged and nothing happens. Problem is that if something happens, even if nobody gets hurt, the penalties are pretty steep. One other way you'd get caught is if the package goes through one of the general mail facilities that have a "sniffer". This machine is at some of the larger facilities and sniffs each package going through processing to see if it contains anything hazardous, chemical or biological. It's a pretty hi tech device and it really works. It doesn't tell the postal inspectors what the exact product is, just that there is something being shipped that shouldn't be. The package, once identified, is pulled and opened to see what is in it. Then the prosecution begins. Every package goes through a facility of some kind so it may be a crap shoot to if the one that your package goes through has one or not. One question you have to ask yourself is do you really want to take that chance?

Back on topic, I have the same issue with the '99 OBW I bought so I'm very interested in this. It just does the delay when I first start out after the car sits overnight and it's just from park to drive or reverse to drive. It goes into reverse right away if I first go into that. On question I have is that will the additive work in the fluid that is already in the tranny if it looks like it is still in good condition and I'm not ready to change it yet?

Edited by Allpar Mod

On question I have is that will the additive work in the fluid that is already in the tranny if it looks like it is still in good condition and I'm not ready to change it yet?

it will but you need to remove a QT? to make room the the trans x. if you drain and fill the trans fluid the same way you do the motor oil you will only drain out about 3.5 qts, not all 9 or 10 in the trans. so the cost difference between removing 1 qt or draining the pan is the cost of 2 - 3 qts of at fluid.

and unlike motor oil, draining and refilling some of your fluid does improve the over all quality of the fluid in the trans. doing it periodically is one of the best things you can do for your auto trans.