Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The new message board looks great! I've been away for a while.

One of the best things that could've happened to me with my 2002 OBW and this message board was the info on the new clutch fix that surfaced around the time the 2003 model year came out.

It was the one thing that prevented me from liking my new car. My dealership treated me right and ordered the parts right away.

It's been about 6 months now and 10,000 miles later and it's still running great!

Thanks again!

Ryan

• 1 month later...

my apologies for not getting back to you, I will find the print-out and send it.

it will be the same clutch disc as appears in the 2003 models. i believe there are some different bolts and some adapter, but i will check the work order.

Found this little guy over here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread/t-357866.html

I too have the new clutch kit in my '02, 5k mi so far.. chatters once in awhile.

I've also noticed that a lot of the time when i let the clutch out, instead of having a smooth release, it seems to grab at the last second when it fully engages. Maybe I just need to adjust my driving more, but it seems to require a bit more finess to get a real smooth release..

Originally posted by nickb21

Found this little guy over here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread/t-357866.html

I too have the new clutch kit in my '02, 5k mi so far.. chatters once in awhile.

I've also noticed that a lot of the time when i let the clutch out, instead of having a smooth release, it seems to grab at the last second when it fully engages. Maybe I just need to adjust my driving more, but it seems to require a bit more finess to get a real smooth release..

Did you get it replaced under warranty? If so, how? I've twice complained about my chattering clutch, and the dealer claims she can't reproduce the symptoms.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/usmb/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=993&highlight=clutch+bulletin

copy n paste the above link into your address bar to get to the original thread I started last year when I was looking into getting the clutch changed out. lots of info there. there were other threads before it that went on forever. do a search on clutch and see the results.

there are plenty of us who went thru this and now I love my subie SO much and get to appreciate it for what it really is.

especially in Maine winters and a hilly driveway.

if you don't want to deal with it, trade up for the automatic, otherwise, prepare your explanations when passengers say "what the hell was that?!"

Hey myles, both times i got my clutch replaces they initially said the same thing, so I had a mechanic hop in the car with me and showed them, didn't have any issues after that. Was easiest for me in a flat parking lot just to let it out nice and slow and just engaging at idle would make it rumble every time.

Yea, there are definitely some good threads on this board about this.

rtp- I agree, and I won't be giving up my 5spd, even if it rev's too high on the highway and chatters now and again. I think I've just been disappointed w/ my local dealer's skill (lack of).

• 2 months later...

I couldn't believe my ears the other day....on Cartalk (yes I listen to NPR sometimes), a caller said her clutch "chattered" (02 Forester). They responded that she may have done something while breaking it in, but one of the hosts disagreed and thought she should contact Subaru. I wrote in mentioning all of the stuff I learned on the internet and my own experience.

After all I went thru on my '02 OBW, I felt sorry for her. My new clutch is still awesome 18,000 miles later, not one instance of chatter. And it was under warranty at the time.

Still love my Subie, just wish with my utility trailer sometimes that I had an automatic. Just have learned to take it easy and if I'm on an incline with a load starting out, just have to get that clutch out and get the motor above idle, just enough so it doesn't stall and not so much that I start smelling friction material burning. A fine line with that tall 1st gear and 4 pretty good sized tires.

Again, I owe my happiness to this message board. Had the clutch continued to bother me, that car would've at best been traded in for an automatic.

RTP

AMEN! my 03 was replaced at about 10,000 and I'm nearing 50,000 and it shifts just beautiful. No -uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uh *shake shake shake shake* when I shift now. (Though it only seemed to do it into 1st and 2nd gear)

But no complaints now.

It's a very simple car to shift, especially with a decent clutch.

Of course the nice part is all of the heavy moving with the utility trailer, sometimes having to pull it thru the snow to my father-in-law's barn, was all on the old clutch. I've been very gentle on this one!

Next one's an automatic, though.