Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Fan Modifications....?

So I am researching how to keep my EA82T's and RX running cool.

I know some of you do without the mechanical fan, and bolt up a EA81 a/c fan in it's place, and some go all out aftermarket.

So I'd like to get a sense on what is best with my platform.

Now I live up in the Rockies, and don't see extreme temps as of others, but I do want to be able to roadtrip anywhere!

So let's post up what everyone is running, and at what temps!

Also include what model thermostat, or if ya just yanked the thermo all together.

:headbang:

Hmm well I have one of the "slightly modified" EA82T powered RX's in CO that I know of...cooling is so extremely important on the EA82T's. I keep mine cooled with:

1. INTERCOOLER, can't say enough get one!

2. Hood scoop for said intercooler (if top mount)

3. Brand new everything in the cooling system, including an all metal 2 core radiator

4. Replace mechanical fan with EA81 slimline or aftermarket electric fan.

5. Big a** oil cooler....helps a ton, remember the turbo is heating your oil too

6. Add another fan underneath the intercooler if possible to limit heatsoak

7. Still not enough? Build yourself an intercooler and radiator water sprayer!

8> I haven't had the need yet....

Oh yea running an OEM Subaru thermostat...period.

Yes my RX is running all of the above, will jaunt up the I70 corridor at 85mph on the turbo with the A/C on without ever going over halfway. Want it cooler...I just hit the sprayer button a few times and it will go down to 1/3rd and stay for awhile. Hope that helps some (And yes I'm crazy about my cooling systems)

Pic: Look close enough and you can see the sprayer lines on the radiator and the one running to my hood scoop (it sprays down on the intercooler with hood shut).

cooling.jpg

I have the EA81 elec fan on mine. Right now it will run (at speed) around 165deg. When the weather gets warmer and I'm in traffic it will get up to 190deg.

you have the ea81 fan run all the time?

or is it set for a certain temperature?

I've been meaning to get it on a relay, but for now it runs all the time.

Sometimes when working on the car and I need the ignition on, I will disconnect it. Of course, having CRS, I forgot to re-connect it once.

I looked at my temp gauge running higher than normal and went .....duh:rolleyes:

It def makes a difference.

from your thread concerning the fan clutch:

Discriminating Subaru owners will not only retrofit a 2nd electric fan in place of the clutch fan, but will slot the bottom mounting holes of both fans. Removing the radiator entirely will allow you to thread in bolts slightly longer than stock, install the fans with the bolts not quite snug, and double-up two nuts on the shaft end of the bolt (inside the radiator bottom frame). remove the fans before reinstalling the radiator, of course.

This will allow you to yank both fans in about a minute, making maintenance faster and easier. :cool:

If you have both electric fans on at the same time, you'll probably be fine. Intercooling a turbo EA82 is the best thing you could do to REALLY stay "out of the woods."