Ultimate Subaru Message Board

reseal. hg?

Can't answer the question cause I am completely ignorant on the subject but, if you are doing it in the semi near future and wouldn't mind, I would love to see what you are doing so I could learn a thing or ten. I can bring beer, cigars and offer to be a gofer for tools and bring over my sube for your laughing enjoyment if nothing else.

Erik

planning on doing a re seal and pulling the motor. so my question is should i do the head gaskets while the motor is out or dont fix whats not broken.

the motor has 166*** on it. oh and its a ea82T

are you pulling the motor for some other reason? with air tools (or even without), pulling the motor is overkill even for headgaskets unless you have a bad back.

if you're running stock turbo stuff, do them. if you're not running stock, still do them!! use Fel-Pro permatorque head gaskets and nothing else and add a few pounds to the final torque sequence. otherwise you're supposed to retorque them (annoying!)

does the motor run fine now...why are you pulling it? i'd leave it unless there's some huge reason to pull it. the cam seals, cam orings, valve cover gaskets, grommets, and oil pump and crank seals all leak like crazy on EA82's, those are very easy to replace. quick couple hour job, i'd start there unless you really need to pull the motor.

well my clutch is starting to go too. and since i will have some extra money layin around i was just gonna pull the motor replace the clutch and re seal. but i was just wonderin if i should do the HG's too. with help i have pulled a motor out of a xt in about 2 hours.

well my clutch is starting to go too. and since i will have some extra money layin around i was just gonna pull the motor replace the clutch and re seal. but i was just wonderin if i should do the HG's too. with help i have pulled a motor out of a xt in about 2 hours.

I need to do my clutch as well....yeah I know, shameless dropping of the inviting myself to check out your working on yours.

haha i dont have a problem with people comin to watch. but my dad might. and thats a big concern since i still live at home but maybe i will get the car port for a day or two. i plan on pullin the motor like uh around may 10th prolly :rolleyes: doubt it though.

If it works out, great. If not, no worries. Being a dad myself, I totally understand.

yea thats what i was thinking knowing my luck i would pull it do the clutch and re seal then a week later i would blow a HG. i think i might try and find a RX with a good body and blown HG or something. and just put my motor and trans into that one and rebuild the bad motor and just swap them out later on. now if i could find a rust free RX