Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 4x4 stuff swap into EA82 FWD?

Just made a deal for a rust free 91 FWD EA82 Wagon. 5spd, FWD, Loyale. $200.

Can I swap my 87 EA82 D/R 5spd 4x4 stuff into it? I'm going to install the rear portion of my lift at the same time.

What is everything I need to complete the swap. The FWD car needs a clutch, the clutch from the 4x4 car is fine. So as far as I know I need to use the 4x4 flywheel?

I dunno, what is everything I need.

Thanks.

Flywheel, clutch, tranny, driveshaft, rear suspension with diff and mustache bar, mustache bar mounts, shift linkages, center console, instrument cluster if you want to get fancy and wire it in so it works, and that should be it. Since its new enough, it should have the carrier bearing mount already on the body where the carrier bearing will bolt to it but the mustache bar mounts will need to be drilled out. I drilled mine out from the bottom of the car all the way up inside the car and dropped some long bolts through the holes and bolted it up that way.

2473620670067339125S500x500Q85.jpg

between both cars, you have all the parts necessary. just drill the holes out for the rear diff hanger and make a mount for the carrier bearing.

use the clutch cable for the 4x4 trans as well, since the threaded part is different than the FWD

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing, I've got the mustache bar bolted up along with the rear subframe (which IS different from the 2wd one, has the bracket for the diff), the diff, the trailing arms, the axles, and I'm in the process of coming up with a center carrier bearing bracket of sorts. Swapping in an EJ22 5spd D/R as one unit.