Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Keyless Entry Control Unit Installation ?

Picked up a keyless entry control unit with complete wire harness (H7110AS011) from Junk Yard :banana: This one was spliced into a 97 OBW. I plan on putting it into a 98 OBW.

Anyone know where I can get a copy of installation instructions or owners manual :confused:

Also will need a FOB (remote) for it?

if the control box doesn't say "SUBARU" on the outside, it isn't OEM. If it isn't OEM, you would need to find the manual for it (and there are numerous manufacturers) 97 and 98 are the same wiring as far as I know. From the factory installation manual i saw, it's just a "plug in" installation.

No, the subaru keyless systems were not just "plug in" there are several wires that get cut and respliced through the unit, and several wires that "tap splice" into the existing wiring.

I don't have the installation manual, but I've examined the wiring in a couple cars equipped with the system. I would like ot get the installation manual.

No, the subaru keyless systems were not just "plug in" there are several wires that get cut and respliced through the unit, and several wires that "tap splice" into the existing wiring.

I don't have the installation manual, but I've examined the wiring in a couple cars equipped with the system. I would like ot get the installation manual.

Correct, this is a SUBARU Keyless Unit and it gets spliced in. Wish it was like most others plug and play. I would like to see a copy of the installation procedures if any one has them?

I actually have a copy of the actual installation instructions (which aircraft-engineer well knows, but I think he needs to read it again!). The booklet was mistakenly left in my manual; it's pub# INS0757, Rev. A, printed 5/96. I have a '97 Imp. 11 small-print pages with some diagrams.

It's for Remote Keyless Entry System, Impreza, H7110FS000. It doesn't quite match the # on what you have; if you want to take a chance it might still work, PM me and I can copy it and send it off to you.

NOTE: Unless you actually got the power actuator out of the driver's door (maybe also pax in OBW - anyone know?) you still can't make it work! The actuators are not the same ones the driver's door lock works with a key, they're different. If your car NEVER had a RKES installed, it does not have the remote version. RUN back to the j/y and get it/them - it's the piece which has a latch mechanism like your current one on top but it includes the funny-lookin' thang screwed on by 2 screws below it - with a (usually) black cable wired into the bottom of it. (That's the power part of the door latch you're seeing.)The cable crosses the door and wires into the mirror cabling junction. YOU NEED THAT CROSS-DOOR CABLE as well; don't cut it, undo the wire bundle ties (should be a tie wrap at the lower hole where it comes out of the door), trace it back to the junctions and get all of it. On the driver's side it comes out of the lower door hole and crosses up to the mirror power cable.

Make sure you have a notebook; draw exactly where those wires (and their colors!) went into the mirror harness! It's too late, I think, to warn you to get a drawing of what wire went where under the dash. If the OBW isn't the same as the Imp, my harness diagrams won't help you at all (and may toast something you'll miss).

Make very sure the j/y car doors are open or the windows down when you do the cable removal; often, if there's a battery in the junker, it will automatically lock the doors. If your junker has no key, or you left tools inside... oops.....

Aftermarket key fobs are on eBay; I've never found one at a j/y save tossed in the trunks of the cars as trash. (If they say Subaru they should work though.) You will need them before you start the installation. You could also try online Subaru parts dealers.

Honestly, as much as I hate to say it, for all the trouble I went through finding/pulling all the parts/harness/fobs, it would have been cheaper to have the stealer do it for me. You will waste a lot of gas doing this. Trust me. I just spent 3 months doing the exact same thing! And I only have one fob.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Picked up a keyless entry control unit with complete wire harness (H7110AS011) from Junk Yard :banana: This one was spliced into a 97 OBW. I plan on putting it into a 98 OBW.

Anyone know where I can get a copy of installation instructions or owners manual :confused:

Also will need a FOB (remote) for it?

Ebay for the FOB. I ordered a keyless entry module for my '97 OBS and it's H7110AS010, Then got one for my daughters 2000 OBS, it's H7110AS011.

The interiors changed between '97 and '98. What applies here is that in '98 - '01 there is a door lock button in the arm rest. In '97 the driver door can lock the others by using the lock in the door handle or the key.

So I think your unit will work in your '98 and am surprised it worked in a '97. But not half as surprised as I am to learn today that I can not just plug in either/both my units. Was looking for the plugs today!