Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

lifting a Subaru?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 heep70

heep70

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • Bonney Lake

Posted 27 December 2003 - 11:43 AM

I notice a lot of the Subarus are lifted here. How DRASTIC does that effect the gearing once you have put the bigger sized tires on? Highway and trail speeds? Do you need to regear?

I 4x Jeeps and I never pictured a Lifted Subaru w/ 27" or bigger tires out running on the same trails I am on.

#2 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 27 December 2003 - 11:49 AM

Greg, call me and I'll give you directions to my place. We'll talk and I'm pretty confident I xcan answer most of your questions. I can even show you a few examples. I also thought of a wagon for you.

Ken

#3 heep70

heep70

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 496 posts
  • Bonney Lake

Posted 27 December 2003 - 11:51 AM

OK. I am doing the instant message thing with my dad, so when I am done I will give you a call.

#4 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 27 December 2003 - 11:54 AM

OK

#5 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 27 December 2003 - 05:26 PM

Gearing kinda sucks afterward. You will get a very good example after you visit ken tho.

Even after the loss in gearing, and the loss in freeway power, i still think its more than worth it. Always best to have one for the street... and one for the woods.

-Brian

#6 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,277 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 27 December 2003 - 08:42 PM

Hey Heep, jes give Ken's rig a little test drive, it'll be all over from there. Once you go Subaru nothing else will do. When I first started running around in the woods with my Brat all my trail buddies were driving K5's, Bronco's, and Scouts. I kept up with almost no trouble at all, even with 29" tires and a 1.8 4 banger. Now that I have the 2.7L six and dual T-case, I've pretty much left wheeling with all the big trucks, as it's too boreing waiting around for them. Thankfully I've been lucky enough to track down a bunch of other Soob nuts in my area that I can wheel with, and it's much more fun.

#7 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 27 December 2003 - 09:04 PM

Gearing really depends on what tranny you use. The 81 and 82 4 speeds have a lower 3rd and 4th gear - easier to drive on the freeway. That's what I'm running right now with 28" tires and it drives great. Or you can do the 5 speed like Qman has - basically the same effect - more gears is better. The 83 and up 4 speeds are gutless on the freeway since 3 and 4 are too high.

GD

#8 incognito

incognito

Banned

• Banned
  • 441 posts
  • Eagle River

Posted 27 December 2003 - 10:27 PM

I guess I'll have to be the blunt one and say that the gearing sucks afterwards. Well... with 30x9.00R15 tires anyway...

#9 the_bard

the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Gold Subscribers
  • 937 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 27 December 2003 - 10:47 PM

[i]...Now that I have the 2.7L six and dual T-case... [/B]

Hmmm... that sounds like a project :D. You wouldn't happen to have any more details on that, would you? Maybe in another thread, so we don't hijack this one, though :rolleyes: :D

#10 Rooinater

Rooinater

Official Thread Killer...

• Members
  • 2,285 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 27 December 2003 - 11:10 PM

i'll vouch that the 83 d/r sucks. the 4th gear is taller than the 5th gear in the 5 speeds. too wide of a gear ratio.

but adam by the dual tcase's you mean the subaru and nissan right?? or did you make a doubler after the transaxle? you'd have no driveline...

the_bard
if he's talking about the divorced nissan transfercase. you couldn't use the pkdavis lift. you'd be utilizing a subframe. and everyone that's done them, that i know of, are like at least 6" lift.

basically, you make the lift (or i'm sure you could talk to mudrat. these types of lifts are a lot more spendy than getting a pk lift though. lots of custom fabbing.) custom fabbed blocks on a subframe. you suck the tranny and engine back to original position on the body. put a short little driveline out of the tranny to the tcase. from the tcase it goes to the rear diff, then to the front via a driveline to another rear diff, modified into your front engine crossmember underneath the tranny. which makes it so you can put a lsd in the front too!! lower gearing like around 60:1 to 70:1 final crawl ratio. you can also change the diff ring and pinions up to like 4.44:1.

you'd also be the first i've heard of with a EA82 set up that way.

sorry for semi jacking the post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users