Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

dipstick info for a dipstick

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lostinthe202

lostinthe202

Currently Lost in the 510

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  • Oakland, Ca

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:19 PM

I can't find my service manual anyplace and I'm changing my tranny fluid. Anyone know the capacity for a '96 OBW 5spd and the quantity between the L and F marks on the dipstick?

Thanks!!!

Will-

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,630 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

I think 4 quarts will be fine. You'll probably have a little extra.

#3 lostinthe202

lostinthe202

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  • Oakland, Ca

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:32 PM

I think 4 quarts will be fine. You'll probably have a little extra.

Great, thanks! Any idea on the dipstick marks? I don't want to over fill and make my seals leak or nuthin.

thanks

Will-

#4 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,630 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:36 PM

No....just add a little at a time.

#5 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:10 PM

I'm changing my tranny fluid.

Uh, just to put my mind at ease . . . when you say "tranny fluid" you do mean gear oil, right?!!

Haynes states 3.7 qts of API GL-5 SAE 80W-90 (although I used Red Line 75W-90ns and love the results.)

Just put three-and-a-half quarts in, let it settle, then keep checking level with the dipstick as you top it up.

#6 lostinthe202

lostinthe202

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  • Oakland, Ca

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

Uh, just to put my mind at ease . . . when you say "tranny fluid" you do mean gear oil, right?!!

Haynes states 3.7 qts of API GL-5 SAE 80W-90 (although I used Red Line 75W-90ns and love the results.)

Just put three-and-a-half quarts in, let it settle, then keep checking level with the dipstick as you top it up.

Correct, I do mean gear oil. Sorry I've never owned an auto so tend not to make the distinction in my vernacular.

Yeah, I've been doing the add and check thing, I just wanted to speed things up a bit since the gear oil is so thick and I don't know if the marks are a full quart or less then that.

Thanks

Will-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users