Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Chug, chug, chug...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Greg5599_*

• Guests

Posted 05 July 2003 - 08:15 PM

OK, somebody tell me what wrong with my 94 Legacy, 2.2L. Engine is effectively running on three cylinders. Normal compression in all except #3. That one registered 50 lbs. compression. Engine has a bad miss and shakes badly. No water in the oil or vice versa. Noise coming from the engine sounds like an exhaust leak but I can't identify it's actual source. Just a repetitive hiss-hiss-hiss when the engine is running. Uses oil now moreso than before. Engine has 143K on it. So... what have I got? Head gasket? Cracked head? Burned valve? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 Guest_93leg_*

• Guests

Posted 09 July 2003 - 06:22 AM

When did the problem occure? Were you putting your Subaru under stress? Sounds like your loosing compression alright. Most likley if your gasket is blown, or your valve is sticking that bad you'll be required to remove the head anyway for either of these repairs. A cracked block? I have not read anything here on this board that states cracked blocks are a common problem. I don't know if your lifters could cause this, or not, but I'll say not. You may want to try a used engine from a junkyard. I have been quoted $650.00 for an engine with less than 65,000 miles on it. You can replace seals and the timing belt before you tear the old one out, if you can still drive it on three cylinders. Hope this helps.

#3 Guest_subyluvr2212_*

• Guests

Posted 09 July 2003 - 07:02 AM

If he's got good compression in all cylinders but one, he might have a burnt valve or a worn cam lobe on that cylinder. He might just need headwork.

It's also possible that he has a very small headgasket leak that's only affecting that one cylinder...

#4 Guest_Greg5599_*

• Guests

Posted 09 July 2003 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the inputs gents. A little more info:

Engine began to miss nearly 10 months ago. Very slight at first now much, much worse.

I removed and checked the lifters on the bad cylinder. The were fine.

The sad part of it is, locally for $300 I can get an 87K mile motor from a 90 to replace it. I've actually added up the costs of replacing the head gaskets and having a vavle job done, and it's more than that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users