Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wanting to do something different to my Brumby

kiwi subbie

im still thinking about doing this and i know it would cost alot off monney.

i was thinking of transplanting an flat 6 and mayb 6 speed gbox plus drive line etc in 2 my brumby. was thinking of using the EZ30 engine.

now some questions ive got are....

would the 6spd fit in to the brumby tranny tunnel or would it be to big and need mods to the tranny tunnel?

has any one fitted an EZ30 to an brat/leone etc?

an EZ30 should fit in to an brumby shouldnt it? i know the 3 is bit smaller than an 3.3 . and ive seen one brumby fitted with an EG33.

mind you i could use an EG33 for motor coz ive got an whole svx as parts car to use. i just wanted to go with ez 30 since it was smaller and lighter.

is there any thing else i need to know before i take on an project like this?

Thanxs:burnout:

To fix the radiator fan problem do what I done.

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ej22swap_mazda_airconfan_stock.jpg

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ej22swap_mazda_airconfan_fitted.jpg

86 Mazda 626 air con fan x2...

As far as I know with no lift you can't fit the 5sp in without tunnel work. So I'd say you'd need extencive trans tunnel mods

the EZ30 is a cool motor but if your thinking of going through all the trouble of a difficult swap like that why not do a STI swap and get 300 horses out of a brat :brow:

Maybe because the EZ30 is suppose to fit in the chassis rails of the EA81 car unlike the DOHC EJ's and EG's?

Plus an STi has a whooping great big turbo which only brings power at high RPM. Where as a 3L flat 6 will give very nice low end torque. Power is useless unless its in the right place for the right purpose.

Oh, but I bet it's because of mainly what the title to this post says "wanting to do something different to my Brumby"

the EZ30 is a cool motor but if your thinking of going through all the trouble of a difficult swap like that why not do a STI swap and get 300 horses out of a brat :brow:

well also if i went with ez30 and wanted to spend the monney ( like $15000nz :grin: ) rebuild motor twin turb it and get an nice relible 800bhp lol :headbang:

not that i would ever spend that much... but the possibly is there

Maybe because the EZ30 is suppose to fit in the chassis rails of the EA81 car unlike the DOHC EJ's and EG's?

Plus an STi has a whooping great big turbo which only brings power at high RPM. Where as a 3L flat 6 will give very nice low end torque. Power is useless unless its in the right place for the right purpose.

this is why sti's come with 6 speed close ratio gearboxes. so it's in the right right place for the right purpose.;)

on another note. you are talking about putting it into a gen2 correct?

the eg33 is SOHC. the EZ30 is DOHC. if a DOHC EJ motor won't fit then the EZ30 won't fit either. (but that's what a hammer is for)

the EZ30 is shorter than the EG33 because it uses a timing chain instead of a belt.

the eg33 is SOHC. the EZ30 is DOHC. if a DOHC EJ motor won't fit then the EZ30 won't fit either. (but that's what a hammer is for)
I think you'll find yourself wrong there. The EZ30 is a completely different motor to an EJ (unlike the EG's relation to the EJ) and even though it is DOHC it is "thinner" then the DOHC EJ's.

No matter what gearbox you run, offroading with a massive torque curve a turbo engine like that gives would be a PITA. But if its just road driving it doesn't matter so much.

The torque my EJ22 had over a mates EJ20 NA was very noticeable even on road and the EJ22 was a much nicer engine to get off the line on.

Oh, but I bet it's because of mainly what the title to this post says "wanting to do something different to my Brumby"

i actually didnt think of that, would it fit in between the rails?

I tryed to get hold of some dimentions for the ez30 but know one was able to tell me what they were.

i may just end up using my svx motor go with what i have. then thats means all i have to do is find me an 6spd and drive line etc... if an cheap ez30 turned up i probly grab it and use it

I'm not sure if the EZ will fit between the EA81 or if it was the EA82 chassis rails. I know it fits between the EA82 (or I've been told that). I also know the EG33 won't fit in the EA81 without chassis mods. Theres been a few posts on here. But I've been around for three years and read a lot. Got no idea what post the right infos in. Sorry.

Since when is dropping an STI motor in a Brat not being different? How many have you heard of? I can only think of a maybe one person that has done it on this board.

Since when is dropping an STI motor in a Brat not being different? How many have you heard of? I can only think of a maybe one person that has done it on this board.

I've seen pictures of 4 and heard of about 6 in Australia... And thats only the online world, there are so many people out there doing this stuff who don't use the internet.