Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recently re-installed my engine after doing valve job, t-belt and idlers, thermostat, water pump, thanks for all the help here.

I started it right up this morning before work for the first time and had some issues:

1) Got some exhaust smoke coming from the y-pipe right off the heads - is this normal? The enigne started right up and seemed to run fine. I only had time to run it for a minute, but I crawled underneath and it looked like it was coming right out from the head where the y-pipe connects. It was coming on both sides.

I did put new gaskets on the y-pipe. I did put some anti-sieze on the exhaust studs, do you think that could be causing it? It really doesn't smell like anything melting, just like exhaust.

2) When I dropped the exhaust when pulling the engine, I ended up dropping the pipe from the front all the way back to the solid pipe that leads to the muffler, because I couldn't get any of the other bolts to budge, I ended up cutting those with my cutting tool. Any tips on the best way to get those pipes back together? I just sinched them together with the seal, but they didn't meet to well. I didn't notice any exhaust leak there this morning, but I'll check again after work - maybe its good to go.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Mark

it's not hard for some oil/coolant to spill into the exhaust pipes and then cause some smoking on start up. seems less likely with EJ's, but not impossible. might just be some residual coolant/oil burning out, i've seen that plenty of times.

or it could be exhaust. did you use the subaru gasket? i've seen some craptastic aftermarket gaskets that aren't very robust looking. the exhaust manifold typically seals rather easily though, i've actually reused exhaust gaskets a number of times on the headers.

did any of the studs come out or strip when removing/reinstalling?

it's not hard for some oil/coolant to spill into the exhaust pipes and then cause some smoking on start up. seems less likely with EJ's, but not impossible. might just be some residual coolant/oil burning out, i've seen that plenty of times.

or it could be exhaust. did you use the subaru gasket? i've seen some craptastic aftermarket gaskets that aren't very robust looking. the exhaust manifold typically seals rather easily though, i've actually reused exhaust gaskets a number of times on the headers.

did any of the studs come out or strip when removing/reinstalling?

Thanks - I used genuine Subaru exhaust gasket, I re-used all the studs, all but 1 came out and I just re-used all of them. They seemed fine, but I do have new ones on hand. Could be oil smoking in there too I guess. I'll run it some more tonite and see if it changes. If its oil, it should burn up pretty quick. I just think it is exhaust leaking because it was whispy and not burnt smelling, and it was coming from both sides. Maybe I should change out the studs?