Ultimate Subaru Message Board

T-belt changing troubles

Guest alexk02

While taking off the T-belt cover about one-third of the bolts holding the front and back covers together ended up destroying the rear cover. The bolts rusted to the threaded anchors imbedded in the plastic rear cover, and no amount of WD40 could free them. Moreover, the plastic became brittle (the car is 95 Brighton with 183K mi) so turning the bolts turned the anchors, this splitting the cover in those places. OK, so the rear covers had to be replaced. The head of one of the bolts, the one right under the power steering reservoir that attaches the cover to the engine block (I think) got rounded off because of rust (I used a hex socket, but still) and refuses to budge. It is a very difficult place to get to in order to put anything like a vice-grip or an open-end wrench on it. I gave up - had it towed to a mechanic :mad:

Any recommendation to prevent this from happening or how to deal with it?

Alex

P.S.

Thanks to Frag and others on suggestions: removing the radiator is easy and quick and makes MUCH more room for work. Also his method of removing crankshaft pulley bolt (putting the car in 5th gear and standing in brakes) worked great.

Guest Tolerance02

Metal bolt tread in the more soft aluminum tread causes the problem. A good trick is using a solid pen driver and a hammer and hit in one straight line to the bolt head before you use the wrench or vise grip. This makes that verry little move in the tread and the bolt will kome loose much more easy.

Urban.

Guest St Nickolas

Soaking with a rust penetrant well ahead of time (and several times) will take care of some of them. WD-40 won't help near as often. Once they are out, use a healthy dose of anti-seize before they go back in. I've opted not to tighten them much, but to put a dab of Permatex gasket maker on the head of the bolt and the cover to keep them from vibrating out.

Other alternatives? If the nut breaks loose from the plastic, I've heated the bolt/nut with a soldering gun. This melts the plastic and allows nut to be 'welded' back into the rear cover.

For those where the nut isn't going back in, I've used a zip tie instead of a bolt. The timing belt cover is to keep rocks and the like out, and a zip tie can accomplish this.

Nick