Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 Gl-10

Are there any special things I need to know or do to engine / trans as far as maintenance is concerned.

A bit of history on the car -- inherited from my Mom after her passing on. has about 135,000 miles on it, was maintained by the original selling dealer. Sat for about 7 years after her passing.

I got it running after turning over by hand to make sure it was not stuck. new battery, fresh gas and it started pretty well. runs great -- purrs like a kitten.

I did notice a couple of things -- turn sigs are not working, and the "trip computer" is dead -- any ideas?

Thanks

roque43, Dean is correct check your fuses first

trip pooter - fuses #5 and #12

t.s. - fuse # 10

My check mark goes beside a bad flasher unit.

As for maintance items, timing belts may be first on your list

They should be changed at 60 kmi, you may be lucky in so much they may have been changed but... sitting for that long may have dried them out - some rubber like products (tires for instance) need to be "exersized" to keep their pliability. You may want to pull a cover for a peek.

Note: no engine damage will result if one breaks as these are non-interference engines.

The normal fluid changes are in order - please do not forget the brake fluid - it could have absorbed moisture over the years.

Hope this helps