Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Stereo and speakers

There has been some talk about haveing dificulty putting in bigger speakers in the doors of ea82s but i made a discovery. I picked up a set of 4 aftermarket subaru speakers for a subaru wrx for 20 bucks. size 6 and half. After having some dificulty putting them in gate i thought id atleast pull the door pannel off of the front to get ready to rewire. When low and behold i look and see that the factory wire that came with the 2003 subaru matched the one on my 88 subaru. I didnt need to rewire afterall i just hooked up the new wire to the old slip on the door. Then i dismounted the old 61/2 speaker from the mount and mounted the new one on. With a little trimming on the plastic in the door it fit perfectly. Stock mount and no one knows its there. I can always take it apart and take pictures of you folks would like to see. Now granted these arent super power speakers but there a excelent upgrade if youve got junk stock ones and believe me mine were junk.

Ben

6.5" fit just fine into the front doors of an EA82 wagon. I don't think I even did any cutting. They fit behind the stock cloth grill. I just had to drill new mounting holes. I did this for some old-school Infinity Kappa's with giant silk-dome tweeters.

There has been some talk about haveing dificulty putting in bigger speakers in the doors of ea82s but i made a discovery. I picked up a set of 4 aftermarket subaru speakers for a subaru wrx for 20 bucks. size 6 and half. After having some dificulty putting them in gate i thought id atleast pull the door pannel off of the front to get ready to rewire. When low and behold i look and see that the factory wire that came with the 2003 subaru matched the one on my 88 subaru. I didnt need to rewire afterall i just hooked up the new wire to the old slip on the door. Then i dismounted the old 61/2 speaker from the mount and mounted the new one on. With a little trimming on the plastic in the door it fit perfectly. Stock mount and no one knows its there. I can always take it apart and take pictures of you folks would like to see. Now granted these arent super power speakers but there a excelent upgrade if youve got junk stock ones and believe me mine were junk.

Ben

Looking to upgrade my tape deck in my 89 ea82 wagon to a standard pioneer cd player but it is too big for the hole left by the tape deck.....suggestions?