Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Books about the 4eat????

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xt61991

xt61991

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:40 PM

I love my subaru's. So i am always trying to learn about rebuilding parts and saving money.:grin: What I am interested in right now is learning to rebuild a automatic tranny and maybe even hopping one up. I am Asking if the is any books out the on how to rebuild a subaru 4eat tranny:headbang:

#2 firstwagon

firstwagon

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • British Columbia

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:20 PM

I never found a book but I'm sure there is something, somewhere you can order.

This all I have on it...

http://www.endwrench...004pdf/4EAT.pdf

and
http://www.endwrench.../4EATPhase2.pdf

#3 EVOthis

EVOthis

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  • Kennett Square PA

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:24 PM

i do understand the want to learn.......i just finished an automatic trans class in school and if i learned one thing about rebuilding an automatic trans is that EVERYTHING has to be perfect and precisely measured.......i was kind of bummed though because i had to rebuild a 4L60E trans out of a chevy k1500 instead of a Subaru 4EAT.......there all basically the same anyway......:)

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,331 posts
  • WV

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:36 PM

the FSM is also an excellent place to start, detailed step by step instructions.

in all reality it's not constructive to rebuild a 4EAT. they are reliable so the availability of them is huge. getting a used one to replace one is the best move.

as far as performance you would "build one up" mostly by having the torque converter and valve bodies adjusted as well as changing the final drive ratio. you could also play with the rear clutch packs for 4WD and install a front LSD differential. so you could look up specifics on those areas for improvements there if that's what you're after.

a board member here has a modified valve body and torque converter in his 4EAT and didn't notice very much in terms of gains. he recently upgraded to 4.44 final drive (from a 3.7) and didn't notice much there either. considering the level of difficult in rebuilding and sourcing parts a complete rebuild might not be your cup of tea unless it's strictly to do it.

#5 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,507 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

google "endwrench transmission" sometimes the direct link on endwrench doesnt work. There will be lots of information there.

nipper

#6 OB99W

OB99W

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:20 PM

While certainly not a rebuilding manual, this link might be interesting: http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/4EAT.pdf

#7 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,507 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:50 PM

Give me the year and send me a blank dvd (-) and i can send you factory manuals :)

nipper

#8 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,929 posts
  • NH

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:54 PM

i was kind of bummed though because i had to rebuild a 4L60E trans out of a chevy k1500 instead of a Subaru 4EAT.......there all basically the same anyway......:)

Except for Honda automatic transmissions. They use a manual gearbox setup with clutch packs instead of shift collars and synchros. Damndest thing, not a single planetary set or clutch band in the whole auto transmission.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users