Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I love my subaru's. So i am always trying to learn about rebuilding parts and saving money.:grin: What I am interested in right now is learning to rebuild a automatic tranny and maybe even hopping one up. I am Asking if the is any books out the on how to rebuild a subaru 4eat tranny:headbang:

i do understand the want to learn.......i just finished an automatic trans class in school and if i learned one thing about rebuilding an automatic trans is that EVERYTHING has to be perfect and precisely measured.......i was kind of bummed though because i had to rebuild a 4L60E trans out of a chevy k1500 instead of a Subaru 4EAT.......there all basically the same anyway......:)

the FSM is also an excellent place to start, detailed step by step instructions.

in all reality it's not constructive to rebuild a 4EAT. they are reliable so the availability of them is huge. getting a used one to replace one is the best move.

as far as performance you would "build one up" mostly by having the torque converter and valve bodies adjusted as well as changing the final drive ratio. you could also play with the rear clutch packs for 4WD and install a front LSD differential. so you could look up specifics on those areas for improvements there if that's what you're after.

a board member here has a modified valve body and torque converter in his 4EAT and didn't notice very much in terms of gains. he recently upgraded to 4.44 final drive (from a 3.7) and didn't notice much there either. considering the level of difficult in rebuilding and sourcing parts a complete rebuild might not be your cup of tea unless it's strictly to do it.

i was kind of bummed though because i had to rebuild a 4L60E trans out of a chevy k1500 instead of a Subaru 4EAT.......there all basically the same anyway......:)

Except for Honda automatic transmissions. They use a manual gearbox setup with clutch packs instead of shift collars and synchros. Damndest thing, not a single planetary set or clutch band in the whole auto transmission.