Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TD04 Turbos and EA82T's .

Ah, what a difference :-p

And I think I might have found my low idle stumble/vac leak. When I was loosening the TB bolts, I found one on the bottom that was loose.

I got.......creative with using the RX throttle cable. It will do for the moment.

Some of the IC I have will also make do on the 90 coming from the turbo.

Unfortunately, the rear bearing I was going to replace will have to wait till Thurs when the correct part comes in :banghead:

Ok, back on topic.

I should have the RX road worthy Fri. I still need the seal, the Dealer will have it tomorrow.

I would have it done tomorrow, but I have a unpleasant task to attend to.

Our Fire Chief's Service is tomorrow and its going to be a all day thing.

For you locals, watch the 6pm news, it will be noted.

Well, it was sort of on topic :rolleyes:

Ok, still have a real bad low idle. It seems like a vacuum leak, but its impossible to locate.

It seems to run better once its warmed up tho.

When I put the intake on I didnt get the heater tube that has the fitting for heating the TB. How important is that? I dont think it would cause it to run like crap at idle.

Ok, still have a real bad low idle. It seems like a vacuum leak, but its impossible to locate.

It seems to run better once its warmed up tho.

When I put the intake on I didnt get the heater tube that has the fitting for heating the TB. How important is that? I dont think it would cause it to run like crap at idle.

This happened to me about a month ago with a vacuum leak.

Everytime I was at a stoplight or whatnot, the engine would putter and almost die if I didn't rev it.

I found the leak. It was an unhooked vacuum line the day after I put my turbo and intake back on. As soon as I plugged that up, it ran and idled fine.

Brief update , I now have a Rex TD04L-13T-6 but am holding out for a rare TD04HL-15T which was native to a JDM EJ205 .

Basically it has the HL rather than the L version of Mitsubishis TD04 turbine which is a little larger and in a similar looking Subie type 6cm turbine housing . If I can get the turbine housing I can build a hybrid "TD04HL-13T-6" using the HL turbine and housing on an otherwise normal Rex TD04 turbo .

Also should have a Liberty RS (Leg RS) up pipe soon and the spider plenum has been adapted to take an L Series MPFI throttlebody .

Progress is slow but that's life , cheers A .

Mine just made a 400mi trip and got about 30mpg. And it ran like crap!

I have vac leaks all over. The TB gasket was bad, I replaced it. I still have leaks :-\

I'm going to take it off and really check it out, it may have gotten warped.

The non-turbo spider I have looks like it might be a better choice anyways, it has less junk on it and the wiring harness looks to be a better match to my RX.

Ok, I pulled the intake of the risers today and the gaskets were trashed.

I had some spares and got it back together soon after.

It runs like it did before the swap :banana:

Better throttle response and hits redline fast :burnout:

Now I just need to figure out a few of the vac lines for the heater, diff lock, etc :rolleyes:

Well, I tried some more boost the other day. Kicked it up to 14lbs and got no predet.

But I did get fuel cut :(

Probably a good thing tho :rolleyes:

I think this is where I stop. I cant afford to put more money into the engine side. It needs paint and some other things I want to do.

Its still quick and fun to drive and reliable. But I have other projects to get to.

I'll get a dyno run done in the next few months to see what its actually putting out.

I had 100whp before all the mods.

• 1 year later...

In this first pic I noticed a fuel rail conversion for O Ring style injectors on a Spider inlet manifold .

Would it be possible to see closer pics of how those rails are held down ?

Cheers Adrain in Oz .

Rotate the throttle body.

Man, this seems like such old news!

Here's some pics of how I did mine.

RX_20-_203-14-04_20017.jpg

RX_20-_203-14-04_20022.jpg

RX_20-_203-14-04_20023.jpg

RX_20-_203-14-04_20025.jpg

RX_20-_203-14-04_20030.jpg

RX_20-_203-14-04_20031.jpg

Basically what you are looking at there is a rotated throttle body, and a samco y-pipe for a WRX, cut with a pipe in the middle for added length. Ultimate got the same Y-pipe treatment too.

I never was 100% sure my TPS worked correctly, or if my problem was all in the cams.

I also found on ebay a RUBBER (not fancy silicone) elbow that worked for the turbo to MAF intake. I believe it was made by APEXi for custom cold air intake setups. I believe it was like 60mm or something like that. It was a good tight radius.