Ultimate Subaru Message Board

#^@($# Intake manifold bolt.

wow, so i broke a bolt on each side of the manifold one slid out and i was able to get the head off on that side but the other bolt is stuck so i have a head sitting on a manifold. i tryed to twist it off but it seems like there is something holding it up. i would like to get the heads into the shop soon this is really making me mad. anybody got any ideas? 88rx ea82T :mad:

oh yes, i've posted lots of information on this. i've written a huge post on this before but won't rehash it all.

is the head still on on the engine?

the bolt sheared off inside the intake manifold hole and now won't come out right? if it's not sheared off you have a few more options but i think it's too late for that?

unbolt the head and pull the entire head with intake out of the car.

have an engine lift...try hydraulic force to pull it off...i don't recommend it but i'd do it!

PB Blaster, Liquid wrench, deep creep, and heat that thing up a few times.

sometimes, if the intake will budge at all, i've been able to get a sawzall between the intake and head to cut the bolt and free the intake. being careful of course not to damage the mating surfaces of the head/intake.

and of course you always have the option to drill it out. i'd get a very high quality drill bit and drill it out. cheap drill bits make this job suck.