Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2.5 Head Removal

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • PA

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:11 PM

I am trying to remove the head bolts from my 2.5 (engine out). I am using a 18 inch 1/2 breaker bar 14mm star pattern, they will not budge. Any problems with using an 1/2 impact gun? I am so tempted to pull it out...

#2 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:26 PM

I believe it's just a 12 point 14mm - atleast that's what I've used on a 2.5 and a 2.2.

I find they break loose better by hand with a breaker bar and cheater (if necessary). Engine needs to be on a stand - can't just have it hanging. They creak and it sounds like they are gonna snap off.

I have used an electric impact gun on scrap engines. For some reason for me the electric is better then either of my 1/2 air impacts at 155 PSI. I use it for crank and cam bolts as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave

#3 subaru360

subaru360

has no catchy title

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Fleetwood, PA

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:29 PM

They get really tight. I use a 2 foot bar to break them loose. You really have to lean into it. They will make a snapping noise a few times then get loose. My compressor doesn't have enough psi to break them loose with an air gun, that's how tight they are.

#4 subaru360

subaru360

has no catchy title

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Fleetwood, PA

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:31 PM

]

Oh and your are nuts to try an do those heads in the car. It's much easier if you pull the engine.

#5 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • PA

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:37 PM

I have the engine on a stand. I think I will try my Impact gun in the AM if no one chimes in that I will break something.

#6 screwbaru2

screwbaru2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • hope valley

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:25 PM

I've used impact on head blots all the time never had a problem. Sometimes if you get them to move by going in the tighting direction they break free also. That would be by hand not impact. You can use the impact to run them out only too.

#7 pdeltoid

pdeltoid

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:55 PM

I did mine on a stand, with the head turned vertical, used a 1/2 breaker bar, 12 pt 14mm socket, with a cheater pipe (about 2ft long). I just used nice steady pressure and they came off. They did make a racket though!

#8 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • PA

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:06 AM

Your not kidding, my craftsmen 400 lb torque was useless. Of to Homedepot for a 2 foor pipe

#9 mdjdc

mdjdc

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:42 AM

The bolts are a beast to break loose. My mechanic and I checked the torque while replacing a 2.5 head and it was up near 90 ft-lbs. I uesd a 36" breaker bar and had someone hold the engine from moving. They came loose, but we still had a job getting them to move. I hesitate to recommend the use of an impact gun. You want to take the bolts out incrementaly so that you don't warp the head. Loosen one and then another, but not too loose at first. Remove them in reverse order of the bolting on pattern.

Just use a cheater bar and not the impact gun. The gun may also cause damage to the bolt head if it slips even alittle bit. There is less chance of this with a breaker bar.

Good luck

#10 msmithmmx

msmithmmx

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • PA

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:39 PM

I picked up a 30 inch pipe, came off with a little effort. I think I found the problem....

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users