Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

desperate no fire on drivers side

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 28 December 2003 - 08:48 PM

i took a well running ea82 spfi long block, and stuck a carb, and a carb disty, on there, and tried to start it. it runs, but only on one side. i get spark to all plugs, but only the passenger side runs. i am missing something, and am getting frustrated. it starts, but shoots the unburned gas out the exhaust.

sometimes i love subarus, but alot of times i hat them and want to hit them with large hammers!

oh yeah, its a brand new chrome accel coil.

#2 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 28 December 2003 - 08:49 PM

Well, if all 4 plugs are getting spark, then its probably the plugs. Unless the heads are cracked or the gaskets are bad. If thats the case, there will be no compression, and the fuel will not ignite.

-Brian

#3 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 28 December 2003 - 08:50 PM

Is it possible the pass side belt is broken ?

#4 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 28 December 2003 - 08:53 PM

Sorry, I read your post in reverse...

#5 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 28 December 2003 - 08:58 PM

like i said, i am desperate here.
i have pulled the plugs, and changed them a couple times now. i have even pulled the fuel line, and ran the engine till it dies, so i would not flood it, or foul the plugs.

what exactly happens when you flood an engine? the plugs get wet, and hold carbon, and cant spark under compression right? any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

#6 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 28 December 2003 - 09:10 PM

Fouling the plugs is more or less a 2-stroke engine term..
Its from flooding, the plug gets coated in Fuel/oul and won't spark

To reverse this, pull the plug wipe off the excess fuel (plugs should never be wet when you pull then) and then heat the tip of the plug (electrode I beleive) witha lighter for about a minute and then put it back in...

To me, it sounds like your timing belt setup is not correct on the drivers ride..

#7 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 28 December 2003 - 09:14 PM

i will admit i have to have something messed up, but i drove this motor to my house. and it ran great. the only thing i messed with was the disty, but if it was 180 out it just wouldnt run.

everybody tell me the firing order real quick.

#8 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 28 December 2003 - 09:20 PM

and my harley fouls plugs from time to time, and its a 4 stroke. my gf flooded her hatch the other day, and new plugs fixed it.

#9 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 28 December 2003 - 09:20 PM

Recheck your wires. Sounds like you have the wires backwards on the drivers side.

Firing order 1, 3, 2, 4

Which I am sure you know. Make sure the wires are correct on the cap as well. Nothing controls side to side firing of the plugs but wire location.

Good luck.

#10 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 29 December 2003 - 05:34 PM

thanks for the help guys. i did forget something. i forgot that my weber float stuck, and filled my lower end with gasoline. that made the engine hard to start, and only ran on one side. and when i say filled, i mean like twice the fluid that should be in the crank case. guess its all clean in there now!
thats the working theory anyway.

#11 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 29 December 2003 - 05:35 PM

oh yeah, im also thinking about getting 1324 tattoed on my forearm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users