Ultimate Subaru Message Board

desperate no fire on drivers side

i took a well running ea82 spfi long block, and stuck a carb, and a carb disty, on there, and tried to start it. it runs, but only on one side. i get spark to all plugs, but only the passenger side runs. i am missing something, and am getting frustrated. it starts, but shoots the unburned gas out the exhaust.

sometimes i love subarus, but alot of times i hat them and want to hit them with large hammers!

oh yeah, its a brand new chrome accel coil.

like i said, i am desperate here.

i have pulled the plugs, and changed them a couple times now. i have even pulled the fuel line, and ran the engine till it dies, so i would not flood it, or foul the plugs.

what exactly happens when you flood an engine? the plugs get wet, and hold carbon, and cant spark under compression right? any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Fouling the plugs is more or less a 2-stroke engine term..

Its from flooding, the plug gets coated in Fuel/oul and won't spark

To reverse this, pull the plug wipe off the excess fuel (plugs should never be wet when you pull then) and then heat the tip of the plug (electrode I beleive) witha lighter for about a minute and then put it back in...

To me, it sounds like your timing belt setup is not correct on the drivers ride..

Recheck your wires. Sounds like you have the wires backwards on the drivers side.

Firing order 1, 3, 2, 4

Which I am sure you know. Make sure the wires are correct on the cap as well. Nothing controls side to side firing of the plugs but wire location.

Good luck.

thanks for the help guys. i did forget something. i forgot that my weber float stuck, and filled my lower end with gasoline. that made the engine hard to start, and only ran on one side. and when i say filled, i mean like twice the fluid that should be in the crank case. guess its all clean in there now!

thats the working theory anyway.