Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tire Rotation???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kenfb1

kenfb1

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Mayfield, Pa.

Posted 28 December 2003 - 09:00 PM

Ok,
What's the overall opinion of the best way to rotate tires on a 4 wheel rotation(no spare). I have seen two different patterns for all wheel drive. I see that Subaru recommends the easy:
back left to front left, then front to back
back right to front right, then front to back.
I also see another method where you start at the back left, putting that on front left, left front to rear right, rear right to right front, then right front to rear left where we began.
Any opinions???????????????????????/
Ken

#2 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 28 December 2003 - 09:14 PM

Survey the tire sites and you'll see just about every pattern.

For AWD, they usually suggest the Front to Back with no cross over as the first choice.

However, I've seen the FWD pattern suggested (rears cross onto fronts, fronts straight back) since many AWD systems these days are more FWD than anything. (Those "on demand" systems.)

I have also seen the "X" pattern suggested.

The latter 2 will reverse tire rotation direction, and give you the most even wear possible. (I'm assuming non-unidirectional tires here.)

I've done all of these with my current tires. They have a slight tendency to feather, so I have to get them over to the other side to counter it. I've even gone so far as to have the tires swapped side to side once.

You'll get various opinions. Do what you are comfortable with. Look up the tire site of the manufacturer of tire that you are running. See what they say.

Commuter

#3 DaveWV

DaveWV

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Charelston, WV

Posted 28 December 2003 - 09:15 PM

In my opinion, it really doesn't matter as long as it gets done regularly. I don't believe one way is any better than the other.

#4 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 29 December 2003 - 06:06 AM

Front to back only for me! Every 15k miles, and things wear nice and even.

#5 Subie Gal

Subie Gal

GC84Ever

• Members
  • 1,409 posts
  • WA

Posted 29 December 2003 - 01:35 PM

for me?
front to back every-other oil change.

nice even wear :)

Jamie

#6 SevenSisters

SevenSisters

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Cleve/Akron Ohio

Posted 29 December 2003 - 03:40 PM

I'd encourage you to get a full size spare and include it in the rotation pattern.
If you ever encounter non-repaiable tire damage, you'll have a real spare of the correct circumference and not get caught in the "Do I need four new tires" delema.
Plus, you won't have to pay full retail to a weasel tire dealer if your away from home on a trip.

#7 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 29 December 2003 - 03:48 PM

my Forester has a full size spare and no one has ever rotated it.
This means the sucker is noticeably larger and I would only dare to put it on my 5 speed car in an emergency.
When I called a shop on not rotating it they said, "We just leave them there untill the next time you buy tires."
At that point it was already too late as several shops had done the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users