Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SJR Tube Buggy Build Thread 08

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

I am going to build a Subaru based offroad buggy
I figure go with a EJ 2.2 and a dual range

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 nw_david

nw_david

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • ferndale

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:04 PM

i've been wanting to do that too, more of a dune buggy thing though. i've got a fwd ea82t w/ wiring harness almost out of a car. i've been thinking about a mid engine rwd buggy, i'll post a drawing in a bit.

this is the rough idea
Posted Image

#3 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

i've been wanting to do that too, more of a dune buggy thing though. i've got a fwd ea82t w/ wiring harness almost out of a car. i've been thinking about a mid engine rwd buggy, i'll post a drawing in a bit.

this is the rough idea
Posted Image

Dave and Rob why dont we meet tomarrow at 7 and make some plans and get started,

#4 nw_david

nw_david

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • ferndale

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:24 PM

me?

#5 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:46 PM

me?

yes ,

#6 nw_david

nw_david

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • ferndale

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:50 PM

cool i don't think i have you're phone number though

#7 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:55 PM

heres another for ideas

I realy like this one

Posted Image

I think this ones the same model

Posted Image

#8 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,421 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:42 PM

this is the rough idea
Posted Image

needs more trianglulation,get rid of rectangles.

#9 nw_david

nw_david

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • ferndale

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:43 PM

yeah i know, thats just the shape i want

#10 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:00 AM

heres the layout of the parts this is a EA82

Posted Image

my thoughts are
One Doner car for all parts
ease of construction
full length square bottom rails ( Engine Cross member width ) to build the cage on , this will make it easy to fab up,
Square and Rectangular Tubing for the bottom and mid frame
round or Square tubing for the top bars
square fabrication joints whebever possible to aid in ease of building
I want this to be a easy thing to fab up so if we go with square tubing and square cuts it wont take long to build the frame also square tubing costs less then round, I like round for the top for looks and thats were you grab it with your hands , would be neet to have a towbar on it to get to the riding area

2 or 4 seater, 4 seater stock wheelbase, 2 seater same layout but shorter wheelbase,
mount radiator above transmision or just higher in front of engine to aid in aproach angle,

#11 elfdowney

elfdowney

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Florida & Washington

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:45 PM

hey guys... I've got Tosh's '88 GL Turbo wagon with an EJ22 turbo in it I'd be willing to add to the mix :banana: ... could do one of your carb'ed EJ conversions in it... I just decided to move here from FL and would love to get into a rock-crawler to tow to the desert during the winter :clap: ...Larry

#12 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:05 PM

hey guys... I've got Tosh's '88 GL Turbo wagon with an EJ22 turbo in it I'd be willing to add to the mix :banana: ... could do one of your carb'ed EJ conversions in it... I just decided to move here from FL and would love to get into a rock-crawler to tow to the desert during the winter :clap: ...Larry

Larry you want to build one of these?

#13 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:08 PM

More pics for ideas these are called Scamps based in the UK

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 nw_david

nw_david

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • ferndale

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:08 PM

ha this ones funny
Posted Image

#15 chazmataz

chazmataz

I'm a Mud Addict

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • Estacada

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:48 AM

ha this ones funny
Posted Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats based off of the original mini, it uses the subframes and drivetrain. basically its a kit car using mini parts. they did make an offroad version of the mini called the moke that was built for the military but the military never adopted it. they are used at some resorts and i've read that they use them on the Canary and the Catalina islands .this is similar to the mini moke.

those are the same wheels i got for my 61 mini that i'm hoping to have on the road soon.

sorry for running off subject a little but i thought i would put that info out.

BTW Mini Mania in California are selling new remake chassis of the mini moke if anyone is interested

#16 Rooinater

Rooinater

Official Thread Killer...

• Members
  • 2,285 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:27 AM

the only bummer is that they will still be too wide for the 48" width limit on atv trails :confused: , but it would be a bad @$$ little sand buggy... how many feet of steel do you think it would require? hmmm... maybe i should buy the jdm tube bender i want sooner... i think a turbo charged 2.2L or larger with the fwd tranny, making a mid-engine dune buggy...

#17 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:54 PM

how many feet of steel do you think it would require? hmmm... ...

at least 120 + ' Im going to go with 1-1/2 x 2 - .083 on the bottom frame priced it yesterday its $50 for a 20' stick will be orderin up 100' this week , will go with 1-1/2" .095 round for the top bars, its a go Rod will help me and maybe make one later

#18 r_kirky

r_kirky

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:20 PM

I think Scott is planning making it exactly 48" wide.

the only bummer is that they will still be too wide for the 48" width limit on atv trails :confused: ,

#19 r_kirky

r_kirky

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

I am looking forward to it.:banana: Wish I had the room and the means to transport it or I would also be ordering steel.

at least 120 + ' Im going to go with 1-1/2 x 2 - .083 on the bottom frame priced it yesterday its $50 for a 20' stick will be orderin up 100' this week , will go with 1-1/2" .095 round for the top bars, its a go Rod will help me and maybe make one later

#20 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

I think Scott is planning making it exactly 48" wide.

the frame will be 48" to the outside, the wheels willstick out stock width, will be running 27" swampers with Pug alloys

#21 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:34 PM

Yeah steel prices are outrageous!:eek: From March to April, the prices increased %60!!!! With a %5 increase every month after that.

#22 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:51 AM

made some modifications to this picture, also would like a built in storage rack on the top weather proof with removable doors

Posted Image

#23 Rooinater

Rooinater

• Members
  • 2,285 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

the frame will be 48" to the outside, the wheels willstick out stock width, will be running 27" swampers with Pug alloys

atv width limits are 48" bulge to bulge... (50" in idaho) but if it looks it, few will probably care, except the DNR and that fact that atv's barely fit on the bridges.

why such thin walled tube for the cage? .120 DOM tube is considered standard safety cage material. with the size of tube depending on the weight of the vehicle. .83 will dent fairly easy when you roll... i'd suggest for the structual part to be .120 and anything that might come in contact with rocks at least .120... just my 2cents.. .120 HREW rocker guards on yotas dent and scratch faily well with time...

#24 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,627 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:54 PM

why such thin walled tube for the cage? ..

this is to be a light weight toy, heavier wall means more weight, if designed properly with diaganal bracing there is no need for thick wall

heres a Suzuki Swift based buggy I built , the thing is light and will go up any sand hill I aim it at, the tubing is smaller and lighter per foot then what I will be using for the Scoobie roo

steel is ordered and will bring home tomarrow

http://www.ultimates...55&d=1127165634

#25 Rooinater

Rooinater

• Members
  • 2,285 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:22 AM

sweet! yeah after the toyota is done the next project is a dune buggy. i'm just looking into stripping a vw then swapping out the engine eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users