Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need to know some info about xt6 motors

im looking to get an xt6 awd and set it up for racing and im kinda curious as to if i could use pistons out of another more readily available vehicle if i had the original sleeves removed-the block bored-and new sleeves installed. i figure i would need to know the size of the wrist pin that the stock pistons take, i know the stock pistons are 3.62" in diameter-but what is their height or whatnot (the other dimension that i will need to match up with another vehicles piston in order for this to work). also how much larger of a sleeve could i go and how large diameter of piston do you guys think i could fit?

you can order normally aspirated or forced induction pistons with relocated wrist pin locations, lighter weight, forged, cut to order..etc, from Ramengines. they're in clinton, OH (close to Akron). they'll be able to answer all of your questions.

i think you dislike discussion and get impatient rather quick...anyway, racing an ER27 is lots of effort for little return. 2 valves per cylinder, based off a 4 cylinder EA82 with married exhaust ports, poor flow everywhere, weak oiling, weak fuel system, low grade electronics, weak cooling, and a weak block...just equates to a less than desirable platform for racing. for half the price (conservative) and half the work (conservative) you could get twice the horsepower (conservative) rather easily.

the thing i really like about the xt6 is its light weight-small design-and flat 6 engine coupled with awd, what would you recommend for me? it seems as if you are very familiar with subarus-i am looking into the svx but as heavy as it is, i cant see it being that fast with as little enginework, i am probably wrong tho, and if i am, please correct me.

thanks, Jon

a motor swap would get you more bang for your buck, but i do understand you might want to go that route that's why i gave you ram's info. i've looked into rebuilds before and you can easily talk $2,000-$3,000 for a performance rebuild by the time you're into all the parts and machining. that's a lot for such small performance numbers in a car that's not worth much. in resale value...don't get me wrong i've owned like 20 XT6's so i tend to like them!

if you're going the work yourself an engine swap is a nice alternative and there's as many options as there are people.

the SVX EG33 motor is a beast...its 230 hp in stock form and gobs of torque. that's like almost 100hp more than the xt6 right out of the box and it has a fair amount of aftermarket support. but it is big and heavy.

the EJ25 engine is smaller, 4 cylinder, right out of the box has 165 hp. that's a 20 hp increase over the XT6 and you get more aftermarket support, 4 valves per cylinder a much better overall intake, exhaust, and computer control with it.

the EJ22 is a good option too - they're 145-ish hp, 4 cylinders and very easy to add a turbo to for light boost. and they're dirt cheap. $150-$400 for a known good engine. usually you can find a wrecked car or bad trans vehicle for not much money at all which gives you everything you need - engine, wiring harness, ECU for a couple-few hundred dollars.

or for $1,000+ you can go with an EJ turbo engine...up to however much horsepower you want.

how much weight would i gain with the eg33 motor in an xt6 awd and would it be more worth it than just getting an svx? also can i find things such as performance cams, an aftermarket flywheel, & etc... to gain power in one of these-& would i be able to put a roots supercharger on it is i had a machinist buddy of mine adapt the intake to one?

I wouldn't race an xt with an SVX engine it adds weight to the front

(nor would I race an SVX too heavy)

I am going with the ej25 from the 2.5RS in my XT..

165HP and won't change my wieght balance (I won't be hard core racing it but auto-x and rally are almost for certain)

any EJ four banger will make your weight balance better.

I have heard the EG33 is awesome in the car

but I would be afraid of too much push in the front.

come on over to http://www.subaruxt.com there's plenty of info on an EG33 in an XT6 over there.

I wouldn't race an xt with an SVX engine it adds weight to the front

(nor would I race an SVX too heavy)

I am going with the ej25 from the 2.5RS in my XT..

165HP and won't change my wieght balance (I won't be hard core racing it but auto-x and rally are almost for certain)

any EJ four banger will make your weight balance better.

I have heard the EG33 is awesome in the car

but I would be afraid of too much push in the front.

come on over to www.subaruxt.com there's plenty of info on an EG33 in an XT6 over there.

With a better suspension setup, the push and weight problem would be minor. And this would be the best bang for the buck.

If you (Zukiru) make it to the Dragon this year, you have to get a ride in Frankenwedge. You might change your mind about the 2.5 ;)

it's on the top of my list.. in fact if frankenwedge wasn't going I might stay home.

but an EG33 is going to be a hell of a shoe horn job on my base XT.

and by the dragon the 2.5 will be mine and at my house...

170 hp is going to make my lightweight XT DL fly like all hell's breakin loose.