Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 Impreza Outback plus/minuses?

Hello-

I'm looking at buying a 66k 2002 Impreza Outback Sport. Two questions:

Are there any particular problems with that model/year that have been recurrent?

Also, flying somewhere to buy a car is an option. Is there a particular region where buying would be cheaper or advantageous?

Thanks,

-R

flying is a great option, areas with lots of subaru's and large cities have significant turn around and choices and great prices. areas not prone to rust are nice to pick up cars from too, but 2002 is probably new enough that's not an issue.

the 2002 outback impreza is a fantastic car. lots more points if it has an EJ22 which i think it should. i think that was the last year for the EJ22, they dont' have the head gasket issues of the EJ25 so it's a no brainer to me.

just check for torque bind, you can do a search on here for tests on that. other than that there's not much to look for.

2002 Impreza Outback Sports have the SOHC EJ25, so no headgasket problems.

I have one with 94,000. My complaints are the following:

Too much road noise, but this is due to the short wheelbase/cheap interior.

Speaking of cheap ineterior, there are lots of weird rattles in the dash.

Clock died, and it's a $70.00 part.

It needs some aftermarket swaybars, as it leans like drunk pig.

Don't buy one anywhere in the Pacific Northwest. You will pay too much, guaranteed.

I have an 02 WRX, same thing except the engine. It's a great car. Honestly the best car I've ever owned.

BTW the clocks don't need to be replaced, they just break a solder joint. Pop it out disassemble and it will be obvious. Re-solder it and they work fine, easy fix.