Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My sister had her 2000 Legacy L - 87k down at the dealer recently. They informed her that the Auto Trans was leaking ATF, but only when the system was on (under pressure). They said it was an "o-ring" where the "electronics wires" go in. To fix it would be ~$400.

Anyone care to clue me in on what they are talking about? I can't see the cost being that much unless the have to drop the transmission... I haven't had a chance to look at the car yet myself.

Thanks for the help.

--Nick

Well it doesn't sound like it could be too bad of a leak, if it took the dealer to inform her that the AT was leaking. Did she know about the leak before going to the dealer? How bad is the leak? Is there much of an ATF spot that develops on the pavement after the car has been parked for a while? Do you know how low on tranny fluid the car was upon going to the dealer? Guess, to help, it would be nice to know if this was a little or a big leak.

its probably the dipstick o ring where the dipstick tube mounts to the tranny. There is one 10mm bolt holding the clamp on at the tranny, and one bracket further up. the o ring is like 50 cents. and some dealers might charge 400 to do this job, i suggest a second opinion. if it is a leak at the wire, i would try some permatex around it to see it that seals it up

they're talking about the point where the wiring harness goes into the transmission. it's on the left side of the trans, right above the pan, towards the front of the mid-section of the trans. there's a plastic block that clips into the transmission body to direct the wires inside the transmission, and it has an o-ring that can go bad and leak fluid.

There's a whole range of possibilities for repair, best possible being if the plastic clip is still flexible enough to release without breaking, a new o-ring can be installed with just a pan drop. what they're quoting you is for a new transmission wiring harness and the labor to install it, since in all likelyhood the plastic piece is so brittle it will break and require replacement of the whole harness section, with a new o-ring on it...they don't have to call you back and say "sorry, the repair is actually going to cost many times what we quoted you before."

Quoting the $400 makes it easier for them, so if it does break (more likely than not), you're prepared to pay what's needed to repair the leak. IF it doesn't happen to break, and they can install just the o-ring, then they'll call you with some really great news, that the repair when smoothly and will be MUCH cheaper than expected.

They're not trying to rip you off, just being careful (coming from someone who's installed a couple that broke and had to be replaced).

There definitely isn't enough of a leak to leave much (if any) fluid dripping on the floor. Which makes me wonder why they would make such a big deal out of it. They did say it would only leak when the system was running.

zstalker: You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what they are referring to. That does sound pretty crazy that what seems like a little piece of plastic would cost so much, but I'm not suprised.

So I take it you would have to drop the pan to replace the harness if the plastic piece ends up breaking? Fun!

I might just leave it for now, and keep an eye on the ATF level. Will replace it when I get some time.

Thanks again for the help!!

Cheers,

Nick