Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cam case Qs

what should the drivers side cam case look like when you re-install it? im assuming that the lobes shouldn't be pushing down the rockers? also were should the DISTY be i think it might have moved when i did the cam seals.

Actually the lobes of the cam do push on the rockers once installed. It is the only thing holding them in place on the HLAs

For the disty, just wait till you get Timing belts back on. Then bring the crank to TDC #1 on the compression stroke (easy to watch if you don't put valve covers on yet.) Now drop the disty in with the rotor pointed at #1. Use a light to time.

To make it easier to put the cam tower on, spin the camshaft so the key is straight up. That will put it in a postition where none of the rockers are being depressed. Much easier to align and bolt together then.

-Dave

this is what the factory service manual says to do also ^^^^

the rockers won't move once the cam housing is in place, i use a generous amount of 10-40w on the end of the lifter and inside the rocker's cup and they stay just fine till you can get the cam housing on

this is what the factory service manual says to do also ^^^^

the rockers won't move once the cam housing is in place, i use a generous amount of 10-40w on the end of the lifter and inside the rocker's cup and they stay just fine till you can get the cam housing on

Grease works way better. Just don't use long strand wheel bearing grease.

Anything else though, CV grease, high temp bearing grease, or the best, engine assembly lube/grease.

+1. i'd avoid using WD40 inside an engine like the plague. but maybe i don't know what i'm talking about?

I think he meant 10w-40 motor oil. Fine for the motor, just doesn't hold the rockers in place as well as grease.

I think he meant 10w-40 motor oil. Fine for the motor, just doesn't hold the rockers in place as well as grease.

bingo, i never could remember where the "w" goes :dead: and at the time, i knew some type of grease was a bad thing, just not which, so i avoided all grease just to be safe . . .:rolleyes: