Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

learned a valuable lesson this morning...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 subie94

subie94

Major Subaru Fan..

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Epsom,N.H.

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:28 AM

if you start hearing bad noises from your brakes..don't procrastinate and check em..:banghead:
Posted Image Posted Image
brake pads really shot and rotors gonna need turning(or replacement)
odd thing is that rear left side's fine but rear right side is shot..haven't checked fronts..rear was making 90% of noise

also,don't allow the rust to get bad..some is mild but there's some good size holes here..
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
(click on any for larger pic)

so..yup,i know what i'll be doing this summer(brakes done by tomorrow..hopefully) :-\

#2 audio_file

audio_file

suberunknown

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • Everett, Wa

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:34 AM

wow.

i was going to suggest getting the rotors turned to save a few $$'s, but, yeah, wow. good news, new ones are only like $20-30 :headbang:

b.t.w.- your avi cat looks baked out of its mind :grin:

chris

#3 subie94

subie94

Major Subaru Fan..

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Epsom,N.H.

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

wow.

i was going to suggest getting the rotors turned to save a few $$'s, but, yeah, wow. good news, new ones are only like $20-30 :headbang:

b.t.w.- your avi cat looks baked out of its mind :grin:

chris

yah,a friend of mine can get me rear rotors for like 12-13 bucks a piece..so might as well get new ones.

as far as the cat gos...she's always doing something crazy..

#4 EVOthis

EVOthis

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  • Kennett Square PA

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:52 PM

oh wow.....im glad you didnt decide to let them go a few more weeks or months who knows what could have happened......

#5 Spiffy

Spiffy

this road's wide enough

• Members
  • 978 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:52 PM

yikes!

thanks for reminding me... I need to do all 4 corners... probably this weekend since it's gonna be HOT and DRY outside...

I don't envy your east coast rust...

--Spiffy

#6 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,306 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:00 PM

odd thing is that rear left side's fine but rear right side is shot..

either your left rear is frozen and is not engaging or your right rear slide pins are gumed up and the pads are draging (usually only one pad is worn, outside i think). is there more rust on the left rear rotor than the right??

#7 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,099 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

if you start hearing bad noises from your brakes..don't procrastinate and check em..:banghead:
[color=red
odd thing is that rear left side's fine but rear right side is shot[/color]..haven't checked fronts..rear was making 90% of noise

The right side is the side that gets driven through the gutters with all the salty snow/slush in it.

Mine were the same way after only a few years of having my car in :-\ :rolleyes: Wisconsin

#8 subie94

subie94

Major Subaru Fan..

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Epsom,N.H.

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:56 PM

either your left rear is frozen and is not engaging or your right rear slide pins are gumed up and the pads are draging (usually only one pad is worn, outside i think). is there more rust on the left rear rotor than the right??

that's what i was thinking(left side caliper problems).seems to be more rust on left side.but hard to tell due to the fact that on left side,theres rust on the inner/outer edge of the rotor and right side only has rust on inner edge(like in the pic).pins seem to be sliding ok too..

when i first got the car(1.5yrs ago) i checked the brakes out and of course i only checked one side(which was left,which seems to be about the same as it was then).

so tomorrow i'll be spending $19 for pads and possibly $40 for 2 rotors..

The right side is the side that gets driven through the gutters with all the salty snow/slush in it.

ain't that the truth..right side was always muddy..or clean(depending on what was on the side of the road(water or mud puddles):grin:

#9 subie94

subie94

Major Subaru Fan..

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Epsom,N.H.

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:09 AM

Sooo..Yup
total amount for the brakes are gonna be $76.84($18.88 for pads and $57.96 for both rotors..)

only reason i paid $28.98 per rotor was cause the $19.99 ones were back ordered and no time to wait..suppose i could of called around but...

i am gonna have to see if i have a spare caliper just in case the right side does in fact need replaceing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users