Ultimate Subaru Message Board

learned a valuable lesson this morning...

if you start hearing bad noises from your brakes..don't procrastinate and check em..:banghead:

Picture_018.jpg Picture_017.jpg

brake pads really shot and rotors gonna need turning(or replacement)

odd thing is that rear left side's fine but rear right side is shot..haven't checked fronts..rear was making 90% of noise

also,don't allow the rust to get bad..some is mild but there's some good size holes here..

Picture_023.jpg Picture_024.jpg Picture_025.jpg Picture_019.jpg

Picture_016.jpg Picture_015.jpg Picture_020.jpg Picture_022.jpg

(click on any for larger pic)

so..yup,i know what i'll be doing this summer(brakes done by tomorrow..hopefully) :-\

wow.

i was going to suggest getting the rotors turned to save a few $$'s, but, yeah, wow. good news, new ones are only like $20-30 :headbang:

b.t.w.- your avi cat looks baked out of its mind :grin:

chris

yah,a friend of mine can get me rear rotors for like 12-13 bucks a piece..so might as well get new ones.

as far as the cat gos...she's always doing something crazy..

odd thing is that rear left side's fine but rear right side is shot..

either your left rear is frozen and is not engaging or your right rear slide pins are gumed up and the pads are draging (usually only one pad is worn, outside i think). is there more rust on the left rear rotor than the right??

if you start hearing bad noises from your brakes..don't procrastinate and check em..:banghead:

[color=red

odd thing is that rear left side's fine but rear right side is shot[/color]..haven't checked fronts..rear was making 90% of noise

The right side is the side that gets driven through the gutters with all the salty snow/slush in it.

Mine were the same way after only a few years of having my car in :-\ :rolleyes: Wisconsin

either your left rear is frozen and is not engaging or your right rear slide pins are gumed up and the pads are draging (usually only one pad is worn, outside i think). is there more rust on the left rear rotor than the right??

that's what i was thinking(left side caliper problems).seems to be more rust on left side.but hard to tell due to the fact that on left side,theres rust on the inner/outer edge of the rotor and right side only has rust on inner edge(like in the pic).pins seem to be sliding ok too..

when i first got the car(1.5yrs ago) i checked the brakes out and of course i only checked one side(which was left,which seems to be about the same as it was then).

so tomorrow i'll be spending $19 for pads and possibly $40 for 2 rotors..

The right side is the side that gets driven through the gutters with all the salty snow/slush in it.

ain't that the truth..right side was always muddy..or clean(depending on what was on the side of the road(water or mud puddles):grin:

Sooo..Yup

total amount for the brakes are gonna be $76.84($18.88 for pads and $57.96 for both rotors..)

only reason i paid $28.98 per rotor was cause the $19.99 ones were back ordered and no time to wait..suppose i could of called around but...

i am gonna have to see if i have a spare caliper just in case the right side does in fact need replaceing