Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 1981 Brat Write Up

I was asked by a forum member to do a little write on my EJ22 81 brat.

Engine- I purchased a donor vehicle for $300. It was a 1990 legacy station wagon automatic with 155,000 miles. I sold the automatic transmission for $300. I am glad I got a donor vehicle instead of purchasing just a harness and motor. To mount the 2.2 on the brat cross member I welded a flat piece of metal over the existing holes so the motor mounts would sit on an even surface. Then I slotted the motor mount bolt holes about an inch wider to accept the 2.2 mount bolts. When the 2.2 was mounted in the brat in touched the frame rails. So I notched the frame rails and box them in. After that it fit like a glove.

Fuel System- I mounted a late 80's Subaru turbo fuel pump in the place of the brats fuel pump. I used an inline fuel filter before the pump and the stock legacy fuel filter after the pump. Since I was going to fuel injection I added a fuel return line. I run a steel line through the transmission tunnel back to the gas tank. At the gas tank I drilled a hole at the top and JB welded a fitting to accept a rubber fuel line. Off of the steel line I used rubber fuel line to connect to the gas tank and engine. I was debating whether to add a surge tank since my gas tank was not made for fuel injection. I did not add a surge tank and have only had a few problems with the fuel supply. I cannot hot rod the brat around when I am low on fuel or air will get in the fuel system. By hot rod I mean fast corners and accelerating as fast as I can. The few times this has happened I just pulled a fuel line under the hood to let the air out, then the brat runs fine again.

Clutch I used an XT6 clutch and pressure plate. For a throw out bearing I used one from a mid 80's Nissan pickup. It was the right size accept for the inside diameter. The throw out bearing holder on the brat was smaller than the inside of the bearing so I had it built up to accept the bearing. I used a fly wheel from an 87 Subaru and had the holes weld in and redrilled for the EJ22. I bought the adapter plate. Luckily the 81 brats came with a dual range transmission that could use normal ej22 adapter plates.

Radiator- I first tried the original brat radiator with two slim aftermarket electric fans. It had a hard time keeping the motor cool. So I went down to a local radiator shop and found the aluminum radiator you see in the pictures. I gave the radiator guy some dimensions that would fit in the brat and where I wanted the inlet and outlet, then we searched his catalogs and came up with this radiator. I do not remember what the exact application is for this radiator, but I believe it is for a ford. For radiator mount I went to the junk yard and found mounts that fit this radiator, then I attached the mounts fit the radiator in place. The top radiator hose is a flex hose. For the bottom I had a tight 90 degree bend welded on the radiator because the engine was too close to attached the hose. I shorten the legacy hose and used it on the bottom. I also used the slim aftermarket fans I had on the other radiator and it keeps the brat cool.

Air filter- I used a cone filter I got from a local parts store. To attach it to the MAF sensor I welded the right size tube to a plate and bolted the plate to the MAF sensor housing. In between the plate and housing I used some gasket material.

Conclusion- The swap was totally with it. I like driving my brat as much as my 02 WRX. The wiring part was the hardest, but was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I have almost 10,000 miles since I swapped the motor. Future plans include the added air conditioning and when the 4 speed transmission dies replacing it with a dual range RX full time 4wd or a newer 5 speed all wheel drive transmission. Also when the new transmission goes in I am going to put in a 2.5 block with some 2.2 heads with delta cams to make a higher compression motor. I have the 2.5 block now, but I do not want to put it in front of the front wheel drive because I already have trouble getting traction with the 2.2. If you have any more questions you can reply to this post and I will try to answer.

Now here are some pics.

PICT0085.JPG

brat_3.jpg

brat_1.jpg

brat_2.jpg

I updated the write up with information about the radiator. I do not remember the exact application, but I believe it is for a Ford.

What kind of radiator did you use?

Looks aluminum and like the ins and outs are in the right locations... very interested in picking up one like that myself.

Yes, it is a A/C condenser. I am working on adding Air Conditioning.

ahhh yes... i thought that was what it looked like but i didn't see a compressor so i was all :confused: ...

are you planning any other mods to help support and balance out that engine?

ahhh yes... i thought that was what it looked like but i didn't see a compressor so i was all :confused: ...

are you planning any other mods to help support and balance out that engine?

I am going to swap out the drums on the back for disk brakes. Up front I would like to adapt some coilovers to replace the stock struts. I see you have gone with the 5-lug swap with coilovers. I have thought about this possibility, but would like to keep what I have and just replace the struts with coilovers. What is the status on your brat? Is it almost complete?

I am going to swap out the drums on the back for disk brakes. Up front I would like to adapt some coilovers to replace the stock struts. I see you have gone with the 5-lug swap with coilovers. I have thought about this possibility, but would like to keep what I have and just replace the struts with coilovers. What is the status on your brat? Is it almost complete?

not really...

after my car accident work slowed to a hault as i couldn't really move...:rolleyes:

i did small jobs like make fiberglass doorpanels and play with the piggyback ECU.

after i finish school (next week) i will hopefully get cracking on the rear suspension and sort out the front. 5 lug is easy for the front. the rear is a little more difficult... i'll post up some results when i'm finished... (or possibly scrapping the whole rear end, who knows!!!):-p

i have a set of rear discs that came off my brat... if you're interested let me know!

if you want to adapt the front struts i would sugest looking into koni inserts and ground control coilover sleaves. completely adjustable and you make them to fit your application.

Can you take some more detailed pics of where you notched the frame to clear the valve covers? I was thinking of a similar swap, maybe into a wagon.

Here are some pics. They are not the best because it is hard to see with the motor in. These pics are of the drivers side.

brat_4.jpg

brat_5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
How much does the engine rock around when you get on it? I'm wondering if the clearence could be made leaving more original material than on yours. I'm not much of a fabricator, so as little as I have to do, the better.

The motor rocks some but not a lot. I did it more in the front than I needed too. I just wanted to have a straight line to follow the frame. The part of the frame that will need to be taken out the most will be on the back passenger side.

Both of your previous pictures of the modified frame rails look like the driver's side, correct? Do you have pics of the passenger's side?

I had a hard time getting a good pic of the passenger side because things are in the way. I can try again but it will not be until next week.

• 6 years later...

I am resurrecting this thread because i've got the fever for another EJ swap but this time into my 1980 Brat. I keep trying to find good pics of the notch people cut in the frame rails but havent found any. I'm sure it's pretty self explanatory, i just want an idea.

I remember reading in numbchux write up for the original

Ea to Ej swap that a surge tank would have to be added for heavy cornering, and hard acceleration. I think he was talking about a second gen style car though. I imagine it woulntd be hard to do to add a surge tank, or just run a return line back to the tank like this guy did. It'd neat to take the gas tank all the way out and open it up and install baffles but that sounds pretty time consuming. Either way i am excited for the challenge!

• 3 years later...

any chance of reviving this thread? i need some pictures of the frame notching as well. planning on an ej22 swap from a legacy soon.

If it's an 80's brat you won't need to notch the chassis/frame rails. Only the fugly series brat needs this (the 70's style brat with round headlights - quad from memory).

Cheers

Bennie