Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wife needs a new car advice needed

Guest brattysvx

My wife's Jetta (the world's biggest POS with 40k on it) is ready to go. Now that the Brat is back from inspection woes I've narrowed her choice down to a Legacy GT wagon 5 speed problem is she doesn't want leather (issue with the dead cows as she has been a veg. for 10 years or so now). Personally I feel that leather in a Jap car is pretty much worthless to begin with as the quality of it just isn't there besides to me it just doesn't look right. We looked at the Legacy Special Edition but it lacks many of the features I'd want (LSD, Side impact airbags, upgrades suspension, etc). Problem is the GT only comes with Leather now.

Kevern has a new one listed on autotrader for $23k (which is a GREAT deal as it is a $27k car). These are the options

1. Keep the POS Jetta (it gets the $500 it needs for inspection done tomorrow).

2. Buy the 03 GT with leather and side airbags

3. Buy an older GT w/o leather or side airbags (which after seeing the last forester test I really would prefer side bags)

4. Wait until the 04s come out and hope that the Legacy has them standard or as an option by then (price would probably end up being close to sticker as it would probably need to be special ordered if they don't go with it as standard equipment.

5. Get rid of the POS Jetta and let her drive the XT6?

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

Another option, swap seats with another buyer. maybe the folks who have the cloth seats could pay shipping both ways since they're getting leather. This forum, alt.autos.subaru, your local dealerships and maybe eBay are all possible avenues for an exchange.

Carl

]1 Lucky Texan

Guest brattysvx

Can't switch the seats w/o messing up the sensors for the side bags I'm told. As for the WRX idea. Having driven enough of them I would never buy one. I'll stick with an XT6 and SVX for my autox both of which will smoke a WRX on most courses anyway.:lol:

Guest brattysvx

Forester is out as it handles like crap compared to a GT as is the Outbacks since they don't handle as well and due to the tires don't brake as well.

Guest Legacy777

you've seen the new legacy haven't you?

If you can wait until that comes out in mid/late 04, I'd go that route.

Guest brattysvx

Yeah, I have seen the new Legacy. I didn't think it was gonna hit stateside until real late in 2004 as a 2005 model. I've yet to find any specs on the 2004 legacy so am assuming there isn't gonna be one. Was kinda hoping that the GT went back to a non leather standard form or the side impact bags were avail on the L. I guess she can live w/o the LSD.

Guest Legacy777

The 2004 model year legacy will be of the old style and probably won't have any options changed.

The 2005 model year legacy will be the new body style, and will probably be available mid to late 2004.

I would assume subaru to release the specs some time in 2004.

Guest Witte

Why not get a L or a outback instead of a GT. The GT is the "luxury" model and really is no more sporty at all.

Or get a forester. Comming from a Jetta she won't notice that its smaller than the legacy.

Guest brattysvx

The GT has a much better suspension, LSD and side impact airbags. After seeing results of side impact tests with vehicles w/ and w/o the side bags I don't think I'll ever buy a new car w/o them. The legacy l and S.E. doesn't even offer them.

Guest hocrest

Hey Ben,

Sorry to interfere here but, did you see my post in the marketplace about my run to Harry's? Is your friend still looking for a hatch for a 3-door?

...carry on...

Guest remarcable

Having driven several outbacks, a gt wagon, and a forester I can say without hesitation the forester handled the best out of the three.

It's one of the best handling stock cars I've ever driven that wasn't a coupe.

Guest brattysvx

She got one! 03 Silver GT wagon from Matt Slap Subaru in Newark, DE. Got the price down to $24k with quite a few of the dealer options (even made 'em include a hitch).

I've driven the GT, STi, WRX, Legacy, SE, Baja, Forester and now the Forester Turbo. Except when pushed the Forester handles nicely but as for accident avoidence and high speed cornering the GT wins hands down between the two. Plus its perfectly weighted! The Forester has a real light rear end! Gets twitchy just like my SVX.