Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Making a Subaru Trail Ready???

Ok guys, I have been into fourwheeling for a while, but I am used to Jeeps. And I have an 84 GL Hatchback, I bagan to think about modifying it into a fourwheeling toy. So I started reading about these lifts and stuff, but I must say I dont usnderstand much of it. So if you guys would be so kind to answer some of my questions it would be greatly aperciated.

1. I want to run around 30-31" tires so I plan on about 6" of lift, how would I go about making a 6" lift?

2. Gears? I hear you guys talking about a divorced Nissan T-Case, What is this and how do I go about doin it?

Thats about all the questions for now, but I'm sure there will be more to come.

Thanks

Derek

You should have a talk with Mudrat79 - he's the one to talk to about the nissan T-case swap. He reccomends 8" of lift for that since if you only go 6" you will have to cut part of the tranny tunnel out to fit the T-case under the car. With 8", there's no cutting neccesary. I was talking to him about that just the other day....

He's done at least two of these now - and there's of course unhatched - Lumpycam, the man who started it all by designing the first Subaru with the nissan T-case swap. There's a lot of fab work involved in that, but no one on the board except Mudrat79 can really tell you what all it involves, since I believe he's the only one on here that has done it (correct me if I'm wrong guys....). Lumpycam of course knows - but he's not seen on this board often, and lately not at all that I can tell....

The lift itself is actually pretty straighforward - you just unbolt the engine and drivetrain from the vehicle, and lift the body up - putting blocks in-between. On the 6", there's usually some x-braces involved to stiffen up the lift peices. The lift itself has been discussed many times - do a search for it. Subarubrat's web site has good info on it as well.... look him up in the member directory.

If you go with 31's, you'll probably want a little extra power - either an EJ engine transplant, or a H.O. EA81 would be in order probably. Just a heads up.

GD

Adam NDJ has done the Nis. transfer too, and it's not as hard as U would think. U will need the transfer case from a Nissan 720 4x4 PU with the shifter and dummy shaft. Whith ther gearing that the T-case adds your engine should do fine, and U can get away with only 6" of lift if U do it right.